Request to tenants from PM to break lease

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by beachgurl, 29th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I have a Brisbane property where the tenants have domestic violence issues. The police have been called multiple times and the neighbours have raised complaints.

The PM wants to ask the tenants to break their lease and leave. If they say yes, do they have any liability for the remainder of the lease term? The agent says they do, but I'd like a second opinion on this. Why would a tenant agree to leave yet still be bound to the lease until a new tenant is found?

2. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

If the pm asks them to end the lease and they agree then the lease isn't broken it is terminated by mutual agreement imo.

Therefore no break lease obligations to the tenant. Just the standard end of lease obligations

Propertunity and Stoffo like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No, they don't.

I would be concerned about the PM as it seems they don't know enough about the legislation.

If the tenants agree to go, then a date will be agreed upon at which time the lease ends.

But just be aware that they don't have to agree to go. I am not sure whether you would be successful in an attempt to evict them.
    Marg