Request from tenant for disabled person modifications

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by James Bond, 5th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

I have received this request via my PM. It comes from an occupational therapist at Peninsula Health. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed? The tenant has been in the property 6 months on a 1 year lease. My concern is that these modifications may make the property less attractive to future tenants.
    ==========================================================
    Please find attached authority form for this property’s landlord to sign, should they agree with the recommended modifications as outlined below:

- Installation of 300mm grab rail on cabinet (if appropriate) to the right hand side of ensuite toilet.
    - Installation of 2 x 300mm grab rails in ensuite shower
    - Door at rear access to be flipped to open to the left hand side, step in fill or ramp (depending on landlord’s preference) to be installed at rear access and bannister rail to be installed on right hand side, descending.

It will be requested that all of these modifications be completed by the Frankston council who will not install unless it is deemed safe and appropriate to do so. The cost of these modifications will be covered either by the tenant, or by the Community Care Program. Should your landlord accept these recommendations, can they please sign section A on page 2 of the form attached and return to me asap.

=====================================================================

2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I was looking into this in our recent Bathroom Reno, but decided that they are firstly very expensive, secondly not flattering. However, looks like you do not have to pay for it so you just need to consider the appearance issue. Some pictures might help, of your current set-up, and the proposed set-up?
    That said, you can also request them to remove those stuff as much as possible, and return your house to the original form?
    Also good opportunity to sign for 2-year lease?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

I would say no to the shower changes, unless you think your place mainly appeals to an older demographic, in which case I'd definitely consider it. I've seen places where grab rails have been installed in a shower and it has made the shower feel really tight, so doesn't appeal to me at all.

For the cabinet and the rear door, these problem wouldn't be such an issue for me, but it really depends how big your ensuite is for the grab rail on the cabinet and if it will impact movement in the room.

If you were to say no to everything, you might want to consider writing back and saying that you will release them from their lease if they decide to move due to this. I would just do it so that they can find somewhere more suitable for their needs.

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

All modifications to be paid by the tenant & removed at expiry of the lease. If mods are made, then the tenant will be reluctant to move on _ a locked in tenant :D

skater, Skyegirl and bob shovel like this.
  5. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

What happens if they just leave at the end of their tenancy though? I could be left with $1000s of cost to restore the property. What do you think of asking for an increased bond equal to the cost of restoration? I think this is legal in VIC.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@James Bond - Very unlikely that you can have the bond increased (at least not in NSW).

The lack of handrail is something of value to you by the sound of it.

You just need to weigh up the mods and if they will be of some benefit to you ie better tenure.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

In Victoria I think you can actually ask for any bond you like if the rental is above a certain amount per week - its a low threshold rent amount too from memory.

Unusual provision that not many people know about - and only in Victoria really. Its not often used though.

Anyway if it was me, I'd probably agree to it if the tenant agreed for either a longer lease, or to remove at the end. One or the other would be enough for me.

I wouldn't feel too good about being 'strictly business' with an elderly disabled tenant.

Joynz and Scott No Mates like this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

This tenant will want to stay. You need to decide whether or not you want that. Sounds like very little skin off your nose, if any.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The tenant can get suction rails for the shower that might be a good option if you aren’t, happy with fixed ones. My mother has these and they are very good.

Generally, I would allow the modifications. They sound easily reversible.

We’ll all be old and frail one day....

10. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I got some in one of my IPs. They really don't look that bad at all. Easy enough to remove and bring back to 'normal'.

The suction ones for the shower that @Joynz mentioned is perfect.

It's perfect that you don't have to pay for it, but I'd certainly ask for an extended lease term. Realistically, you'll likely have a long term tenant if you agree to the mods.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

And in the future, your place will be very rentable for anybody with a disabled family member. I think there is a shortage of properties like these.

Effects on resale... there would be an effect. I can't say if it would be an overall positive or negative, you will appeal to some buyers, but not the majority. But remember, the Australian population is aging. I think its a good thing as a rental.

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2018
    Lawrence Mayne, Joynz and mikey7 like this.
  12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

True. A friend of mine who is a builder was exploring the possibility of modifying houses to accommodate those with disabilities. He stopped looking at it after a short while. Discovered it'd be cheaper to knock the places down and rebuild but there was just no money in it for him as nobody wanted to pay for it. Access ramps, hallways, bench top heights, wet areas (I get that aspect when you look at the size of disabled toilets in commercial premises and compare them to most private houses), 24/7 aircon for those with MS. The list went on and on and on.

13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

If it is the cabinet, then this my be easy to remove/repair.

I'm not sure I would be okay with this. If the suction ones are acceptable then that is a good answer. That being said, surely suction ones are only good enough for balance - there is only glue holding the tile on!

This really depends on the situation - does changing the door screw it up for a "normal" house? If it didn't then I would want a new door installed.

Of if it does need to be changed back at the end of the lease - install a new door and keep the old one with an agreement that the doorframe will be made good.

Installing a ramp that can be removed seems feasible.

---
    In short, it is all fiddly and you want to agree the detail.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s really easy to swap the opening side of a door and to change it back later.

15. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Ramp- can they do a portable type of one (I’m imagining like a heavy plastic ramp shaped box?)

Suction grab rails only

Door opening as long as they will replace jamb afterwards and reverse it. I wouldn’t want my tiles having grab bars drilled in- ugly, and the holes from the screws are permanent

I’d want compensation upfront for the rectification costs for when they leave. Not sure if that’s legal though. Your house your rules I think.
    Tenant should have asked if this could be allowed prior to signing a lease imo

wylie likes this.
  16. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

It is not hard but there is a lot of filling, sanding, painting twice. Doors that I have seen with that sort of surgery look pretty ordinary.

17. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I recieved same letter from Peninsula Health 12mths ago. We said yes - but our place will need a reno when this tenant leaves. They did not end up putting handrail in the shower becasue the wall studs didn't line up. At least they were prepared to put things in properly. There is a shortage of public housing especially for the elderly so Peninsula Health are doing what they can to keep people in private rentals as long as they can. There is also no cost to you.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Actually, there doesn't have to be a lot of work at all.

For the altered door, just flip the existing door and use the hinges that don't need rebates and there will be no effect on the door & jamb apart from a few screw holes.

Don't fill in the old striker plate hole.

So, then all that needs filling when you put the door back (or a replacement) is the temporary striker plate hole. Easy.

19. Skyegirl

Skyegirl Well-Known Member

I would say yes if tenants are good. Grab rails doesn't really affect the popularity of the house much.

Lawrence Mayne likes this.
  20. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

If you like long term tenants its a good partnership. I have a community organisation checking in on my tenant. He gets help with gardening, cleaning and people checking in that he is ok. He pays market rent. There was an ocassion where the PM had ignored his maintenence request and Peninsula Health helped him serve us a formal notice - the PM took notice then.

Lawrence Mayne and db9 like this.