Repositioning smoke alarm a couple of inches... legislation prevails common sense?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Invstr, 16th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Invstr

Invstr Member

Just got an email notifying the annual smoke alarm inspection occurred on my IP in QLD.

Apparently the smoke alarm was previously installed in the wrong place. Not to worry, the technician moved it a couple of inches. all good now, everyone will be much safer.

.... SERIOUSLY?

Anyone else experienced this? Now I'm left with an unsightly patch on the ceiling too.

The bill was $130, while not a lot of money, I'm wondering if that is standard inspection costs, or does it include 'labour' to move the alarm? The invoice doesn't say.

Anyway, just a bit of a laugh to start off your week.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Too close to the shower/bathroom?

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It looks to be in a hallway, outside a bedroom......

$130 to move a battery smoke alarm ?
    If it's not hard wired the that's the career I want :rolleyes:

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Looks like they didnt centre it.....That would annoy me more than the cheap arse "patch" they stuck over the hole. I do believe that the distance requirement is 300mm + between a alarm and a light.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It was too close to the downlight.

We have a similar set up and our previous company installed one between the downlight and the intake for the ducted aircon.

When we switched companies, it was brought to our attention and moved at no cost to us, just part of the service we get for $69 per year.

Are you paying an annual fee. I would not be happy to be charged to move that.

We've had two beeping alarms in the past two months. Both times, the sensors were part of a bad batch and were replaced. No extra charge.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Do smoke alarms operate due to heat ?
    Not sure that an led downlight would produce enough heat to set one off if that was the case....

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There is no distinguishing between older d/lights and modern ones and the standards assume the worst case. Older ones threw a lot of watts and heat and the bulb would get quite hot. A simple bit of dust or a bug and it would smoke up and trigger a alarm. These rules are intended to limit false alarms as people then disregard them or blame the unit when its doing its job.

One benefit of these inspections is use by dates. Most people arent aware all detectors have one printed on it - Usually the plate it attaches to. A fully functional unit can be obsolete and be bin ready.

I suspect the invoice was incl of moving it and the inspection.

8. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

They should be fairly new alarms as the new legislation has come in effect recently, I would question when they were installed and by whom, but it's not uncommon for them to do this, I've had it done a few times when RE changed over contracting companies. But yeah, I agree, it's ridiculous when you need to pay multiple times to get a simple job done.