Replacing rotting timber beams and pillars

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by John Sheridan, 3rd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Sheridan

John Sheridan Member

Hi there,

We got some rotting timber beams and pillars that need replacing.

We’re hoping to use this opportunity to re-assess if it’s possible to get rid of (2) and (3) in the picture, and maybe that means (1) needs to be replaced with something sturdier.

Also, we’re considering rendering the façade, and I’m guessing we cannot render timber, so what’s our options here?

If it was a like-for-like replacement job, we’d probably talk to carpenters, but in this situation, what type of tradesmen should we seek out?

Thanks very much,
    John

rotting-timbers-with-numbers.jpg

2. 5080

5080 Active Member

Hi John,

1. Load bearing timber post probably 100x100mm is holding up the end portion of tiled roof overhang. Can be simply changed by propping the structure, and replacing with a new section of like timber.
    2. Looks to be part of your porch structure and possibly a continuation of 4? Might be the fascia board continued across from the garage. Need to see photos from under the porch and inside the garage to see how they are constructed to confirm whether they are load bearing/form part of the structure.
    3. Is the same as 1 and part of support for your porch structure. I would say you porch can be removed without to much hassle.

Licensed carpenter is the best bet for this kind of work or a builder with carpentry background.

Happy to look at photos if you have any more of the above?

Cheers

willair and The Y-man like this.
  3. John Sheridan

John Sheridan Member

Thanks Helicrete, here are some more pics i took this morning ... rotting-timbers2.JPG rotting-timbers3.JPG

4. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

2 & 3 appear to be there just for looks only, may have had a blind for privacy or similar. The fascia across the garage 4 should be sitting in the top of brickwork so does not need 3 to support it.
    Easy job for a chippie.

5. 5080

5080 Active Member

Can you get a photo of inside the garage looking at the under side of the roof,towards the roller door, and in the gap between the underside of the garage's L/H side roof overhang on the exterior? If you follow me. You can do it yourself if you can confirm a few things, if you are DIY minded and able. I have marked up your photos for you for things to look out for if you wish to do it yourself. Don't know how well it will show up on here, but if you have any questions just ask.

How do you upload a photo on here?

Cheers

6. John Sheridan

John Sheridan Member

Thanks mate. I had a renderer/carpenter come over today, and we had a good look and decided to leave the posts alone but remove part of beam (2). But thanks for all the suggestions, it was very useful for me to understand this before engaging tradies. By the way, to upload a photo, you can click the Upload a File button at the bottom of the comment box you're typing in.