Replacing roof screws?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hammer, 21st Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've had a Builder through to look at my 80's colorbond roof and he reckons I just need to put new screws in and change a few sheets and my roof will be good.

Today I had lunch with another friend who said that the advice that he received was it was better to put a whole new roof on and that just changing the screws will cause problems later on.

This is in Darwin BTW.

Anyone on here good with roofing? Help!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have done it a few times now on roofs >500m². Replaced fibreglass skylights,box gutters, cappings & flashings, dektites etc.

Definitely worth doing once the screws start rusting or the grommets deteriorate.

3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Is changing just the screws and a few sheets enough? Or should I be looking to redo the whole thing?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unless the roof is solidly rusted in lots of areas ie more than surface rust which can be painted with a rust converter, then maintenance is warranted. A few grand now will make the roof last another 10-20 years.

Many of the ones that I had maintained are around 40 years old with box gutters being done more frequently.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Wonderful. Thank you!

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the roof?

Are the scews failing? How are they failing?

Are they the kind with a neoprene washer underneath?

I have replaced roofing nails with screws and also replaced some colourbond screws on my colourbond roof that rusted. Easy job.

if the roof isn’t rusting through, there is no need to replace. Your friend knows nothing! You will likely have a colour difference if you do have to replace sheets as he colourbond fades a bit over time.