Replacing gutters

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by robbie_p, 3rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I need to replace my gutters (about 65m) and was just wondering if it was a fairly easy job?

I’m in the process of getting a few quotes, but I’m estimating them to be around $3k.

If I were to do it myself, are there any advice of tips you could give me?

As you ll see in my pic, only about 7 meters needs to be replaced ASAP, the rest will get by for a few more years.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

$3k sounds cheap for that much guttering. You need to get the fall right. I'd not try DIY myself.

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It's a major PITA... practice cutting your fingers with a stanley knife first to get used to the pain of many cuts to your fingers.. see if you can do it without swearing!
    Otherwise getting the fall right is probably the hardest bit. Also, if you DIY, you have to dispose of the old guttering. Get the plumbers to include disposal in their quote.

Do your downpipes run inside the soffit from the gutter to the wall? or are they purely external? If they're internal they could all be rotting away, ready to flood the inside of your house..

I had 70m done in WA about 3 years ago, for just under $3k

jim1964, Stoffo and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. robbie_p

I'm getting a few quotes over the coming days, so ill let you guys know what the costs are.

5. robbie_p

Got my first quote back to replace all the gutters and down pipes, which was $4,500.

I have another company coming to give a 2nd quote. The currently giving 40% off their gutter replacement.

It would be interesting to see what their quotes come back at (before the 40% discount). Based on my first quote, I would expect it to be around $2700 – $3000 (including their 40% discount).

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Their price might come in at $7499... then minus 40% ;)

are you still considering DIY?
    I have to replace some gutters too and have been thinking about DIYing it too

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just price up the materials your self--150 zinc quad will range in price from 12 bucks up too 18 bucks for 3 mts lenghts --4 -90 angle bends maybe 20-30 bucks each ,downpipe droppers maybe 2-4 bucks each all the other fit-offs materials maybe under 100 bucks and you don't have to be lic to install guttering ..imho..

Phase2 and bob shovel like this.
  8. robbie_p

Well its not really a 40% discount if they mark it up by 40%, then "offer 40% off", so if they try their luck, I will mention it to them.

After I get all the quotes, ill decide if i want to go ahead. Of the 65m of gutters, there is only about 7m that is in urgent need of repair (rusted through), which i could look at doing myself. The rest would be fine for a few more years.

9. robbie_p

I am considering doing it myself.. i mean.. how difficult can it be if you replacing "like for like"?

Joynz likes this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

thats what i think to....
    As long as you have fall across the gutter to the downpipes should be all good. but if you have rusted sections you should be checking what has caused that.

I have issues where water doesnt get away quick enough and possibly dropped and isnt getting good fall, especially with build up of leaves

wylie likes this.
  11. robbie_p

The cause of the rusted section was a combination of leaf build up (as there was no gutter gaurd) from the trees above, as well as the run-off of the evaporative system going directly into this section of gutter.

12. robbie_p

Just got my 2nd quote, which was $3,900 (which included the 40% discount).

I have a final quote tomorrow before i decide which way ill be going..

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is that so you land correctly when you fall off the ladder?

The Y-man

Phase2 likes this.
  14. robbie_p

I might ask the guys to exclude down pipes as they are easy to fit.

How easy would it be to remove the old gutters and dispose myself?

I guess the hardest part is fitting of new gutters right?

15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What is your roof material ?
    Aluminium guttering is worth it for a PPOR that you intend on staying in for some time ;)
    As you have had some issues already, get some form of gutter guard also.
    Short term (cost) pain for longer term gain (benefit).
    Sure, DIY & replace like for like, but dont complain when eventually the joins/corners/downpipes leak like a sieve o_O

16. robbie_p

Its a tile roof..

Is there anything i could do to bring the quote costs down?

I thought of

1: Removing the old gutters myself
    2: Disposing of the gutters myself
    3: Installing and supplying the downpipes myself

The above seems pretty straight forward?

17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Hmm.. serious question (not being a smart alec).. what happens if the guttering is installed by someone unlicenced and the gutters back up and flood the ceiling? Will insurance cover the damage??

I've had the gutter back-up and ceiling flood before with dodgy old gutters but repaired it myself because it was quicker and easier than dealing with the insurer at the time.. then I got new gutters installed by a pro.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

To be honest i'm not sure ,most lic Plumbers do this part of the trade and gutters will only jam up if they are full of tree waste leaves so then it would come back to basic maintenance and having a understanding how insurance companies work..

Only my simple opinion,but in full blown Qld storm anywhere in Cyclone alley in Qld and the wind forces Cyclone Debbie just gave Qld the gutters can be clean prior too the storm hits ,the force of the wind may well blow all the leaves onto the roof sections then into the gutters then jam the whole flow system then overflow into the eaves then internal damage ..I have only have experience with floods and i'm still in a class action for 2 properties from 2011..

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Apr, 2017
  19. robbie_p

Anyone removed their old gutters? easy job?

20. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No, if gutters aren't installed properly (or are old and have sunk/shifted) they can back-up and overflow the wrong way... my gutters were cleaned regularly, just in poor condition.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia