Replacing Ceiling Fans in IP Gold coast

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by TJD, 11th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TJD

TJD Member

What do you normally spend on replacing ceiling fans excluding labour?? Any particular brand?? METAL or Wood? The fans will be internal fans for the bedrooms.
    Thanks

2. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

$100-$150 for metal fan/light combos from Bunnings.

Labour $80-$150 depending on the ceiling type. If it was a remote control type, new house and it was going exactly where the old light fitting was, I'd charge between $80 and $100 depending on how many you wanted done.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I happen to get a quote from an electrican yesterday to supply and install 6 x Clipsal fan/lights.

3 blade metal fan/light: $225 each
    4 blade timber fan/light: $245 each

This pricing includes the installation of timber in the roof to hang the fan in the centre of the room, the supply of an extra switch wire from the existing switch plate to the fan and the supply of a new 2 gang light switch with a separate fan switch so there is not a separate plate in the wall. Also the supply of a new light bulb for each light fitting.

I don't have the split between labour and materials. These are fan/lights, not fan only. Sorry. I hope it helps.

For bedrooms, I would recommend timber blades as they are quieter. No point in my case, spending $225, saving $25 and tenants not using them because they are too noisey.

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2016
  4. TJD

TJD Member

Great thanks

5. TJD

TJD Member

Great thanks for the info, much appreciated

kierank likes this.
  6. Gesiett

Gesiett Member

I'd say wooden definitely look better than metal if you're putting one in with a light. The Clipsal metal ones have awful looking lights. We've just moved into a house with brand new Clipsal fans with lights and I'm very tempted to replace them, but they're brand new so it would be wasteful. Definitely will down the track though. They are no more noisy than the wooden blade ones even in the bedrooms they are fine. We used to live in a place with the Mercator and Hunter Pacific wooden blade ones. Definitely go for a decent brand like these or Clipsal, they're not that much more than the really cheap ones but are much better quality.