Replacing carport if no longer meets council regulations

Discussion in 'Development' started by shelleykins, 23rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could clarify the following. I have a large block with a house at front and a double carport in very poor condition at the rear. It sits flush on the side boundary line and driveway goes directly down into it. Plan is to subdivide and put a removal house in the backyard. I will need to supply the appropriate number of garage spaces (2) in addition to the house. The local council has a 2 metre setback from fenceline but I was wondering if we repaired the existing structure (likely to be a complete rebuild and modify it to be an enclosed garage) can we keep it in the same location? We ran appropriate council checks when purchasing several years ago so the carport is approved to the best of my knowledge. This would give us more space for the house...

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2016
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A complete rebuild and turning a carport into an enclosed garage is not a repair. As a rebuild it will need council approval.
    Marg

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I was advised by my council (Vic) that I could rebuild my bungalow (I.e. sleep out - just a room not a GF) even though it is 5 square meters bigger than would be allowed without a permit these days if I kept to the same footprint and didn't add anything. In other words replace 'like for like' to maintain/repair it.

So, I think you would be able to replace your carport with similar materials in the same footprint - but have a chat to council first to check.

Do you actually need to provide a 'garage' or is it just provision for parking (i.e. car spaces).?

I agree with Marg you may need a permit to keep it official for the 'closing it in' bit.

If you just want to slap up some infill cladding though and don't mind running the risk of having to undo it, however...

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2016
    bob shovel likes this.
  4. shelleykins

Thanks for the replies Marg and Joynz. I need enclosed car spaces so I think it's off to council I go...

5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

If space is the issue just show the original house as a 2 bedder on the plans to council.

Council will not come and knock on your door to check the number of rooms in the existing house.
    My draftsmen said in his 20 years doing the job he has never had council check to see if the existing house had the layout on the plans.
    AND if they did just tell them the plan is to convert it into whatever is shown on the plans.

Yes I understand there is some risk with this but very minimal.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what that would achieve? Do you mean needing less car spaces because it is fewer bedrooms?

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Yeah a 2 bedroom home only requires a single garage. OP mentioned wanting more space for the rear home.

8. shelleykins

Thanks for the suggestion albanga. We plan on doing some changes to the existing property as well so will need to lodge plans for the existing house to council. I might come a bit unstuck with that plan but I love the creativity!