Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Replacing asbestos roof

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by spludgey, 18th Dec, 2015.

1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

My Rockhampton properties have been giving me lots of heartache lately, I've got one vacancy, a convicted sex offender staying (but not living) in one and now it looks like I'll have to replace an old asbestos roof on the other one.

It's times like these where I feel like throwing in the towel (not that I will).

Does anyone know how much it should cost to have it replaced? It's 125m2 on an old queenslander and the quotes that I've been getting are pretty crazy. I don't see why it should cost $30k when I had a 90m2 roof replaced in Adelaide for $4500. Sure this one is asbestos, but it's not friable.

So if you can point me in any direction that might help me, that would be very much appreciated.

2. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Hope for a hailstorm or tornado... sorry.....
    What's wrong with the current roof?

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Moderator Staff Member

It's going to be tax deductible, don't forget. So that's something. The government is pretty keen to get asbestos out of the system. The cost of removal and disposal will be an immediate deduction. If you then replace the roof with 'like for like' i.e put a corrugated iron roof on, you will likely be able to claim that immediately, too i.e 100% vs 2.5%pa.
    Scott

Gockie and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. Paul@PFI

Paul@PFI Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Member

Strategy - Put the crim in the property with the asbestos and replace the roof while residing there. Win Win.;)

All asbestos handling takes time and care to ensure fibres are contained. Removing the fasteners releases fibre. Handling releases fibre. Disposal is expensive. One fibre can kill. That costs $.

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do you have to replace, get a second opinion, I know this from experience

Insurance quotes came in at 30k, 3x1 home

6. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

If it is the old "super six" roof sheeting it should not be too bad to remove.....if it has deteriorated to the point of friability then you have some issues but they are essentially solved by LOTS of PVA glue.
    Also there is too much hype around about asbestos.....sure it is a problem if handled poorly but most times it is fine if left undisturbed and properly sealed before removal.....lots of PVA glue and strong plastic wrap.....
    Millions of homes & businesses have asbestos......

Most of the contractors I have had quotes from started selling fear - what if, yada, yada. Plus ridiculously expensive quotes over $25k.

I ended up with a full re-roof & new insulation of 110 sqm at Sydney all properly done for just under $10K in colourbond.
    Too many cracks in the roof sheets to make a good, lasting repair - so it had to be done.

Does the roof really have to be replaced? Cracks can be sealed with bitumen paint and the roof sealed & repainted.

Get some other quotes or alternatives if you can......

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

There was a bloke in Rocky that did some asbestos training when I was in gladstone, top bloke and he was a no bs sort of guy when it came to asbestos! So didn't add an "asbestos tax " to his work!
    I'll have a google and see if I can recall his name

8. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Why does it need replacing?

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Are they dead?

10. jim1964

jim1964 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Get this one to do the removal,with no respiratory gear,oxygen thief.I was once quoted $8500 to remove the super 6 sheets and dispose,around 8 hours work.............and$10k to re roof with colourbond with gutters,around 100-120 sm.