Replacing a Rangehood

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by hvdw87, 28th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

After some suggestions on how to replace my existing rangehood in the most cost effective manner.

The current 600mm wide Simpson unit (see photos) has no external outlet and finding the carbon filters has been difficult and it still does not perform as well as previous units I have had.

I don't really want to modify the existing kitchen cabinetry, so looking to retrofit the best value for money unit within those constraints.

Really appreciative for any suggestions on specific units, ways to retrofit and how to make the exercise cheaper.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you duct it to the outside through the wall behind?

3. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

The outside wall is to the left. So you would need to run a duct on top of the cabinets and then through the brick veneer wall. Can't see why that's not doable.

wylie likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have the same configuration in my kitchen - no outside ventilation for the oven and a useless overhead fan. I have since bought a new oven [Smeg] and all my smoky problems disappeared. After smoking a bit for the first couple of weeks I can now use my oven at the highest temperature and have no need for more ventilation, it was worth every penny [$2,650 700mm oven].

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2021
  5. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I haven't even thought about the oven, the hob has been my biggest issue. But it does get pretty steamy in winter in the kitchen with the oven on, so probably need to look at that as well.

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My exhaust fan is adequate for my hob, only use it when frying ... :D