Replacement Value of IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Matty77, 28th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matty77

Matty77 Active Member

So it just occurred to me while filling out a quote for insurance for a IP that will be rented out in Dec, that I don't know what the replacement value of the building is. Now I would be curious to know how other people have worked this out on their IP?

Any thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Insurers have a table.

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I usually just ask the insurer for their estimate - if it falls broadly in line with my thoughts then I go for it.

Cheers

Jamie

4. Matty77

Matty77 Active Member

No worries, thanks.

5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

some insurer allow you to adjust a very lower value hence your premium is lower. NRMA has quiet a high minimum you can go to, whereas Youi/Comsec allows to go quiet low.

6. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Just remember the risks of underinsuring, ie replacement value $200,000 you insure for $100,000 make claim for $50,000 damage they pay $25,000 as you underinsured. If you have several properties under common ownership you might be able to insure them under one policy with a saving.
    NAB was offering good rates a couple of months ago - from memory no flood coverage - but if we got flooding where we are, it would be a major national disaster which would end up affecting three states.

7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

really? not sure myself.
    I was under the impression that if the house is burnt down, they pay you what is you insured, in this case 100k.
    However if say mother nature did 25k damage, they will repair 25k damage.

8. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Never heard of such a thing. Is that insurer specific or an industry wide thing?

9. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

It's pretty general https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/insurance/home-and-contents-insurance/risk-of-underinsurance

It's easy to underestimate the cost of rebuilding. Last year I insured a number of buildings on one site for about $13 million. I've been involved in buildings in that industry for several years as has my then boss. We thought this was fair. An estimator came around and based on current building costs considered $16 million was closer to replacement value. A few months later we were looking at replacing one building and thought based on area it would cost $2 million. We had a guy in the building industry come round. He said $4 million because of what would be needed for the foundations on that site.