Replace Whole windows frame vs. covered with new window and plantation shutter

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ahu7, 20th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ahu7

ahu7 New Member

Hi All,
    Would like to seek some opinions from value, cost and looks.
    For a 70 yr old house, single story fibro cottage with tile roof in a quiet suburb, mostly seniors with some young family start moving in.

Should I:
    1. Replace the whole window timber frame, old pull up window single glass, bad condensation in winter due to poor insulation --> with a new window frame, prob. double glass (any suggestion and costing?)
    2. Leave it as it is but add plantation shutter from inside and add a new window from outside (attached it to the existing timber frame) hence working as a double glasses windows. --> Would this work? or look even uglier?

There are 8 windows frame in total so gonna be costly.

Thanks for your kind advice.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IP or PPOR?

double glazing will have little benefit if the walls are uninsulated.

If the existing window frames are rotten replace them.

Phase2 likes this.
  3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It'd be cheaper to put in reverse cycle a/c. Bonus, it will pump out very dry air...

Plantation shutters are pretty expensive and somewhat fragile. No way would I put them in an IP. Double glazing is also very expensive and unnecessary for an IP, and probably won't fix your condensation problem.

4. ahu7

ahu7 New Member

Hi Scott and Phase 2,

Thanks for your reply. It will be IP from next year and I'm considering to cosmetic reno to increase the rental if possible, attracting young family.
    I have reverse cycle AC in the living room but not the bedroom. Leave the condensation issues aside, From the appearance perspective, Would you consider Option 1 or Option 2? And would be great to know from costing perspective, would knocking off the whole window frame and replace with new one (say aluminium sliding window) cheaper and look better then leave the existing and just attached another sliding window glasses on its frame (external) and say blind/roller instead of plantation shutter (just so looks better from inside).
    Also, either option, Do I need a builder or just a carpenter? OR if there's any cheaper option.
    Trying to refresh how it looks.
    Thanks so much..

5. Stegve

Stegve Well-Known Member

I gather the bottom sill is rotting without being able to see.
    The cheapest option is to dig out any rot and bog it with car bog and paint.
    Fit either a spring or chain operated block out roller.
    For future reference on plantation shutters
    Aussie made timber are super $$$$
    Most are now made in China and quality is not bad.
    Timber should not be installed in wet areas, only one manufacturer provides water proof paint for timber and will warranty.
    Timber is light and will not drop at the hinges.
    MDF is cheap but heavy.
    PVC is the cheapest. It's ok but the finish is not as the best.
    MDF centre with PVC coating, heavy and again the finish is not the best.
    There's a new product made in QLD made from gas residue, its like plastic, the finish is not bad but its one of the heaviest products on the market therefore dropping at the hinges will be inevitable.
    Retail Install cost can either 2 ways
    m2 $50 + mark up + GST
    or
    per panel $40-$50 + mark up + GST
    Retail Mark up on PVC shutters are usually$185m2 + 30% - 50% + GST depending on retail turn over.
    There are only 2 china suppliers, 1 offering a slightly better product and water proofing timber but at a premium.
    There are a few installers these days grass cutting the bricks and mortar retailer offering the same product cheaper, either not marking up the product or install due to less over heads. Same goes for blinds. This has started in SA 12 months ago.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@ahu7 option 1 minus the double glazing, spend it on wall insulation.