Replace or remove water tank in IP

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Wobblyman, 15th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wobblyman

Wobblyman Member

Hello everyone,

I have a leaking plastic 3kl water tank in the IP and i've just received a quote to replace it and the pump for over ~$4k via my managing agent.

There are other tanks on the property, and i'm considering just removing it completely. It's not going to save me any money - and if the tenant is already paying for the water usage, why would i do this?

Do you know what it should cost to supply, install and plumb in a new tank to the same location? The property is in Brisbane. I can see tanks online for about $1200 - but the rest can't be labour?

I've posted the job on service seeking to search for a plumber and get some local pricing that way. Maybe it does cost that much?

Thanks,

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Leaking ?
    Is it damaged, cracked, past it's serviceable life ?
    With other tanks on site doesn't seem much point in replacing.
    Pumps can be $400-1,000
    Tanks vary greatly also
    We all know plumbers aren't cheap per hour
    So $4k is cheap but probably unnecessary to do

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The most expensive part to replace is the pump. If this hasn't failed, then have them replace the tank only & adjust the pipework to suit.

4. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

It is a huge rip off you can get a 3000L tank for $800. As the base should already be there take minutes to install, a bit longer to drain all the water from the old one so it can be removed, so about the cost of a call out fee and an hours labour and maybe some freight included perhaps a few hundred dollars. I would think it should be under 2k.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is it plumbed to the toilet or washing machine? Does the tenant water gardens with it?

6. Wobblyman

Wobblyman Member

I think it's cracked on the seam and 'isnt able to be repaired' as one comment. I think it's only used to water the garden. Apparently it's been leaking from this crack - so i'd assume it's pretty empty (although there has been quite a bit of rain activity in Brisbane).
    I'm not sure of the life or age of one of these things.
    I've also had a look online - and agree that for about $1k you can get one delivered. I can't see why it would cost another $3k to install it and remove the old one... It's a replacement as well - so most of the infrastructure would be there already.
    Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had water tanks installed in all IPs we (my parents and me) owned back when our dam levels were low and there was a government scheme to supplement the cost.

We've slowly removed them all. None were hooked up to toilets or washing machines. A couple had pumps but tenants didn't use them to water gardens so the tenants didn't care if we removed the tanks.

The one we have here at home has no pump and if we use it to top up our pool, we just let the water out via hose into the pool.

If you have other tanks in the property, I'd give the RTA a call to ask if you have to replace it, because I don't know if tanks fall under the same rules as, say, an appliance that is there that must be repaired of replaced, especially if there is another tank they could use.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only if they were required as a condition of building approval.

9. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Stuff that

I'd completely remove it. Aint paying $4k for a watertank. LOL

My water tank pump has been broken for years. I told the tenant there is a tap 3 meters away. Use that.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.