Replace my stove /oven

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

i have had the same built in stove since i bought my small unit over 10 years ago.
    Two of the hotplates on top arent working and the oven has had it so looking to buy another.

Trouble is I dont know where to start.
    I try to explain to the salesman at HN etc that this one will need to come out and another put in but the problem is i dont know how to do it myself.

I have included pics so you know what im talking about.
    I am based in Sydney, so how do I just call a electrcian and buy off him?
    I preferably would like to choose my own just im concern is if they can fit it the same way as this one.
    You see how its built in to the counter top, is it easy to remove and are all stoves the same size?
    I would prefer a gas stove this time however.
    Just my concern is trying to buy one that fits in like the one i have now.
    Thanks guys. image.jpg

2. Darlinghurst Boy

Here is another photo, image.jpg

3. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

All ovens and cooktops are not the same size, it's a big pain.

Do you have a gas point already located near the cooktop? If not, then you'll need a plumber to put one in for you - the cost of that is unpredictable as it will depend on whether you have natural gas already plumbed in and if so where it is located. You can use LPG but then you'll need to have a gas bottle and this is probably totally impractical in a Darlinghurst apartment.

Possibly the easiest option would be to get a free standing combined cooktop/oven. That way it simply slots into the space where the cabinetry and cooktop/oven used to be.

Good luck!
    vtt
    :D

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Is this your home or an IP?
    1. Stick with electric if it's an IP - changing from electric to gas could cost a bit.
    2. I would go with a replacement oven and a separate replacement cooktop. Otherwise you will need to change cabinetry and muck around with the bench top.
    3. Most ovens fit the same width of cabinet. I can't tell the brand of the oven from the photos, but you may find the current model of that brand will fit the same hole.
    4. Same goes for the cooktop.

You don't sound like a DIY guy, so maybe the best thing to do is just get an electrician to disconnect and remove the appliances, then you can measure the spaces and go looking for replacements.
    Is this property in Darlinghurst?

Scott

5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Have you swapped the elements to see if it just needs the elements replacing.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You are in a unit - you do not have gas and probably won't be able to get it without major expense.

Removing the joinery to fit a new freestanding range will leave gaps and lose the clean lines.

You will need an electrician to disconnect & reconnect the cooktop & oven. Confirm cooktop dimensions and cutout size in the benchtop (both existing and proposed - get under the bench and measure it)

7. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

1 Turn your house power off
    2 Open the oven door, you should see 2-4 screws, they hold the oven to the front of the cabinet. Remove them
    4 slide the oven out, it'll have enough electrical cable so the oven will sit on the ground
    5 Measure the oven hole. width, height and depth.
    6 Look under and measure the hole the hot plate is sitting it.
    7. now you know what sizes you need to buy new ones with
    8. Look if the hotplate or oven are plugged into a power point. They shouldn't but some old places do.

Some places like appliances online do delivery and install for a few hundred and take the old appliances away

8. Darlinghurst Boy

Yes thanks guys.Sorry im used to the white freestanding stoves rather than the built in ovens.
    I may just get a electrcian out to replace the cooktop.I thought it was just one freestanding unit inserted but if i can replace the cooktop and oven sepatately it will make it easier.
    I will ask the electrcian about the elements as this is all they may need replacing rather than replace the whole lot.

Yes i done away with the gas idea.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

An electrician isn't going to have a replacement cooktop in his van.
    You need to get the cooktop so it can be installed.
    Read what Rhinsor wrote a couple of posts back.

Phantom likes this.
  10. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Call a stove repair mob to check out your stove eg. Active Appliances or someone in your area.

11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Darlinghurst,
    I have been using Winnings appliances for a long long time. Your stove looks like a built in job, If
    you have the time, Suggest go down there or speak to them, at Waterloo, They also have end of display models ( always good value) and will know installers as well, http://www.winningappliances.com.au/ I don't work for them!
    I hope this helps

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2015
  12. Lu Bracher

Lu Bracher Well-Known Member

Appliancesonline.com.au to compare prices - free delivery.
    Measure the dimensions of cooktop and front of oven and see which specs match. Yours looks pretty standard.
    Can get a cheap and cheerful approx $500/$600 and cost electrician approx $180-280

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@Darlinghurst Boy
    Post is a few weeks old now, if you haven't sorted something yet I was looking at >This Package< the other day (check dimensions).
    Top is flat so easy to keep clean unlike the raised ones with chrome etc rings around them that end up looking like crap.

14. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

It's a complete unit. Although two seperate items.
    That cooktop is connected into the bottom oven unit via a multitude of wires.
    Due to age it would be wise to replace both at the same time.