Replace - loungeroom, kitchchen and main bedroom ceilings

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by MTR, 31st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My PM advised that ceilings in one of my properties is cracking it is an older property I was quoted $6650. Let me pick myself up from the floor.....wow seems costly, but what would I know I have not replaced ceilings ever.

Issue is I would prefer not to spend this money as this is a development site and will be bulldozing the home in a couple of years?? I have yet to view the property.

To remove furniture, cover floors with black plastic and ram board and supply protection for cupboards and benchtops then remove insulation, drop existing ceilings and cornice and remove and put in skip bin

then fix new gyprock and cornice and flush and sand and paint with one coat of sealer and two of ceiling white and have lights and downlights reinstalled and then re-install the furniture in the rooms will cost.

2. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Do you have photos? If it is not to bad there should be some remediation work that cold be done a lot cheaper I wold think. Is it water damaged or just old? Surely you could band aid it some how for a couple of years.

MTR likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Take 1 handyman, a roll of paper tape, setting compound & top coat. 1 box of gyprock screws.

Get them to retape the cracked joints, reset, sand and paint.

If ceilings have dropped, just add screws, sand and paint.

Voila - new ceilings for <$1000

TadhgMor, ellejay, Phase2 and 3 others like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

brilliant, getting on the phone now:)

5. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We just replaced our ceilings as part of a PPOR renovation - we had a time and materials arrangement and had ceiling roses, decorative cornice, air conditioning etc, so I won't try a cost comparison.

What we were surprised about was how much "stuff" was sitting on the ceiling - which obviously caused the ceiling to sagg. There was heaps of material from when the roof was replaced many years ago as an example.

Maybe your roof space needs a clean out to take pressure off the ceiling - then it might just be a simple repair.

We were quite happy we did replace our after seeing what was up there.

6. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Yup agree with above. Had sagging and cracked ceilings in my last place, a super long jack, some stud adhesive, screws,paper tape and plaster over a week of afternoons/nights and I had it all fixed ($100-200 all said and done). Didn't have to touch it again in the 4 years till I sold it. I imagine someone who knew what they were doing would smash it in no time.

Replacing would be way better if you were looking to keep it obviously.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And you don't even need setting compound and topcoat. Can all be done with multi premix compound (about $20 top $25).'

(Don't let anyone suggest using the self adhesive fiberglass 'mesh' tape for this job though)

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks guys great, have actually copied and pasted some of this stuff/information and passed on to PM.

This is typical of what can occur with property management, they don't know what they don't know and give wrong information which in turn can cost LL a fortune.

I had one of my PMs advise that I needed to replace all my copper piping in another older property why? cos the plumber advised that the copper came from China and it was a bad bunch??? ... WTF:eek: I called it BS and cost me next to nothing to repair one pipe.

Unfortunately in the main PMs are not skilled in working through this and happy to get the quotes and that's about it, sure there may be some that are a cut above. I guess as long as we keep them on their toes all good.

I think I am now down around at least $5500.

MTR:)

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yep. Doing a reno on a 60's brick and tile in Perth now and cleaned out some of the ceiling in prep for a replacement sheet. I found three roof tiles in one small section of ceiling! :eek:

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is the latest email reply from my PM after getting a handyman out to check it out, perhaps I have no choice, damn.

As per telephone discussion regarding the ceiling to the front lounge room and front bedroom

the ceiling is of plaster glass not gyprock and can't be screwed up into the timber frame due to

the type of material. (this is for both rooms)

Replace complete ceiling with gyprock is the best and only option guaranteeing the ceiling will

not collapse.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it's in Perth, maybe try these people ( or similar) rather than a handyman.

Ceilings Perth | Ceiling repair Perth | Ceiling Installer Perth

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Finally resolved this issue.
    Have had at least 3 ceiling contractors to my property, include the OP link, they were the most expensive, $3000 for lounge and $3000 for master bedroom, new ceilings, painting, remove rubbish..... what do I think .... a rubbish price.

I have only had one company A1 ceiling who will repair the ceilings and give me a 10 year warranty at a cost of $1800. All the other companies said it was too late to repair and they needed to be replaced.

A1 ceilings have been around for quite a while and a reputable company.

Moral of the story sometimes you need to by pass the PM and do it yourself otherwise you may end up paying an arm and a leg for something you don't need. Problem is most PMs do not think outside the square

MTR

14. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Good result. In line with your end game for the property also. Win win.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just an update, I had 3 quotes from various companies that replace/repair ceilings. Two advised that they needed to be replaced at a cost of around $3000+. Not to mention disruption to tenants etc.

One company basically prepared to fix and provide 10 year guarantee at $1500. Went with this, all done.
    The property will be bulldozed in a couple of years so trying to keep costs down.

MTR:)

EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@MTR I have plasterglass ceilings too. They can definitely be repaired.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

its dependent on how bad, as I mentioned 2 companies would not repair.
    They have a tool? which measures the drop... All new to me. Glad I shopped it though.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Why is that ? - just curious :)

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

20. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Cool thanks!

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.