Replace front door - likely cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by qak, 15th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

The door is pretty much like this one: Corinthian Doors 2040 x 820 x 40mm Windsor Bevelled Diamond Jewel Entrance Door

- so a few of those little bits of glass are apparently $1500 to replace (I gather the two whole glass panels have been removed already, and I know there's more work in fixing the lead & cutting the little fiddly bits and putting them back in etc etc)

While it is the 3rd door replacement, the previous replacements were a bit more dramatic after the firies had to break in (twice in two weeks, I have told this story before!) and not related to wind blowing the door shut.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is actually lead light? I find that unlikely - if the door cost under $400, as you mentioned earlier.

These types of doors tend to be a lead light ‘look’ (i.e. not real leadlight).

Have you had a quote just for putting plain laminated glass in it?

Any glazier should be able to do it.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2021
    Clean Cookie likes this.
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Well the quotes refer to LED lights which had me confused for a few moments.

It seems the current equivalent is actually "zinclight" and they are separate bits of glass, all clear but patterned/embossed for privacy. I prefer to keep this look.

Edit - there is actually a heritage listing on the facades in the street, so I need to be consistent with what was there when I bought it.

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Update - this still isn't fixed.

Tenant has gone to fair trading and says as there was broken glass it was dangerous & this an urgent repair, therefore is our responsibility. They say because it was due to natural causes (wind slamming it shut) they would be willing to split the cost $1500.

Thoughts?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What did Fair Trading have to say?

Has the door been fixed already and not paid for, or is the glass just boarded up while this goes back and forth?

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Presumably FT didn't tell the tenant it was a LL responsibility, otherwise they would have said so, rather than trying to negotiate.

I'm assuming the glass part is still boarded up.

EDIT - tenant is also trying to say the door was 'aged' - it's probably 5 years old.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be asking the tenant for the Fair Trading answer. When you say "took it to Fair Trading" did they attend some sort of mediation, or just make a call. They could tell you anything.

Maybe you can make a call and see what answer you get.

Sounds like they may possibly have been told it is their job to fix and they are trying it one to see if you will meet them half way.

To be honest, I'd probably take their $750 and get them to sign something about if it happens again, they cover the whole cost. I'll bet they won't call an "urgent repairer" if they sign that.

We are really good landlords, but tenants that try to take advantage of us get my goat.

8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I gather it was just a phone call.

They have now lodged a complaint with FT and the PM has provided FT with the details they originally told him, so we'll see what the outcome is from that.