Replace front door - likely cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by qak, 15th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Tenants have reported an incident where they left the front door open and it slammed, breaking the glass.
    They got a quote, over $1500, and I've read this and realised this is just to replace the glass. The agent has told them it is their responsibility to get it fixed as it was their fault.

How much would a whole door cost (installed, with the locks moved over, & painted to match or close)- it's a terrace house c1900 so something traditional is required. Of course I can't find any examples online!

Edit - roughly, and in Sydney.

2. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Federation Solid Timber Sidelight HM - Elegant Building Supplies

Not going to be cheap. Why wouldn't you have the leadlight repaired rather than replacing the entire door?

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I had forgotten, but the door is actually a fairly recent install because of two incidents with a prior tenant, and they had replaced the front door twice (in two weeks!!). So it's probably a bunnies special anyway, certainly not anything of particular significance. The quote to replace 3 small pieces of glass is over $1500 and doesn't include some additional work that will be required.

We have asked the handyman who did that job for his quote. Similar door at Bunnings is $385.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hard to say after looking at the $1500-00 just for the glass replacement alone..
    But try the link below --Australian Made and vey high-end quality as they may have something to match-or they can make a new door..
    https://www.woodworkers.com.au/doors

6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i would be thinking the next door should not be too 'similar'

i would be thinking something WITHOUT glass , maybe one of those spy-hole things they aren't hard to fit

and MAYBE a thin strip of rubber edge of the door to soften sudden closing

i suppose the problem isn't an occupant problem ( bad temper or kids in a hurry )

my first (official ) job was an apprentice glazier , that sounds like expensive glass to me ( especially small multiple pieces ) are they having to source replacement glass from the demolition yards

if so i would strongly suggest a new door with no glass

Lizzie likes this.
  7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

We were told they had the door open without being hooked back, and the wind slammed it shut - just one of those things, but it was avoidable. Hasn't happened before.

The place does need the extra light from those glass panels, so we are planning on the same sort of door.

8. twisted strategies

perspex instead of glass then ??

i would have suggested one of those hydraulic dampener things , but i have seen them go wrong as well ( jamming and tearing chunks from wall or door or just mangling

absolutely the thin rubber stripping though

four front doors is more than the family home and that was burgled at least 3 times in 55 years

if $1,500 a time how does the insurance look to pick up part of the bill ??

9. Scott No Mates

Install a decent hold back door closer.

10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

It has two already!
    The original one on the floor which you push/swivel with your foot to put a stop in front of the door, and a hook/eye.
    They just didn't use either of them :rolleyes:

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

There's another $400+ for an emergency call out as well, where they boarded up the broken part (three little bits of glass?). Looking at who was used & quoted Magic Glass - Commercial & Residential Glass Replacement, it seems more like a commercial grade service not residential.

Will see what the total comes in at - we have an excess of $1000 on the policy.
    Apparently the tenants thought we'd be covering the lot o_O

12. Scott No Mates

No it doesn't, you have hold open devices. You need one of these:

[​IMG]

13. twisted strategies

it was just a question , if these door repairs are going to happen , say , twice a year ..

if the insurance company is partially on the hook , they MIGHT offer a sensible suggestion , that hasn't been discussed .

in my brief stint as an apprentice glazier ( in the early 1970's ) i am well aware some glass is just terrible the cut ( especially into irregular shape pieces )

and some glass ( if it has to match ) is hard to find and brittle , now i am guessing laser cutting would be an option now , but hard to find is still hard to find

replacing the door has been discussed , hopefully the door is a size readily available , cutting a few inches off a door can produce some interesting outcomes ( seen that go wrong as well )

i agree the previous repairer does look like overkill

Will see what the total comes in at - we have an excess of $1000 on the policy.
    Apparently the tenants thought we'd be covering the lot o_O

ah , yes , the old 'landlord must be rolling in cash ' perception , Donald Duck and Richie Rich have a lot to answer for

if you have reasonable handyman skills i bet you opt for a new door .. PS don't forget to SEAL and paint the tops and bottoms ( because the carpenters often forget to do that ) a swollen door can be hard to shut properly

cheers

oh and don't forget to measure the diagonals ( corner to corner ) , not every doorway is a perfect rectangle

14. twisted strategies

i have mixed feelings on them

some places they work very well ( even reasonably busy shops ) and sometimes they become a problem ( but i got to see what was left after the problem , so can't give tips on what can go wrong )

cheers

BUT at $1500 a time on current repairs , certainly worth a thought

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

OK - so this is the third time the door will have been replaced!

Was it one of those doors with the 10 panels of glass that are commonly sold in Bunnings?

it sounds like it might be the windy side of the house. I think you should learn from the past and get a different model of door.

I would just buy a solid door.

But if you insist on glass, Bunnings sells a version with just 2 panes or a half pane which may be cheaper to reglaze.

Ask about getting acrylic inserts instead of glass.

16. twisted strategies

is it acrylic these days ?? but the OP said the door needs to be partly 'light friendly ' ( i would have gone for wood , but that is me )

to me glass on the front door is just an invitation to be burgled ( but again that is just me )

but 'non-glass' should be strongly considered , i suggest

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have glass in our front door and I paid to have a protective clear layer over the top to stop someone breaking the glass and reaching in to open the door. We paid to have it done, but could have chosen to DIY with the same product.

Joynz likes this.
  18. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

We found this one in a salvage yard. It was too big both ways. Cut it down to match our weird size. Door is almost 100yo solid hardwood. Extremely heavy... Was a lovely gloss green and gold when picked out. Total cost including paint: $150. Hardware you already have.
    IMG20210418164129.jpg
    It has been fit with safety laminated glass in it's previous life. This is what I recommend. Laminated or glass with 3m safety film as mentioned above.

This design will let light in but simple to reglaze if 4th event occurs.

Also aqua enamel sucks unless spraying!

craigc, Kryys and wylie like this.
  19. twisted strategies

sounds like it would amputate fingers , or rattle roof tiles , but could reduce the number of unexpected door closures , might be hard on the door frame though

20. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Hardwood house is fine, we have a
    colorbond roof but it does shake the house when it slams haha. Been 4 years and so far no cracks or failures from the eBay spec Ball bearing hinges.
    Screenshot_2021-04-18-17-04-16-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-18-17-01-46-44.jpg

Swapping the direction of it was time consuming so I suggest finding something with the correct swing.