Repayments from super

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Buynow, 3rd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a PPOR in Sydney but am waiting for prices to bottom. Looking at around $1.5m and I have a $0.4m deposit so would need to borrow around $1.1m.

From a servicing perspective our rental cost is about $900 a week which would cover interest costs. My partner and I save about $20k (super savings on top of this) a year and have five kids (4-14). All of the savings come from our annual bonuses as we spend all and more of our normal monthly income

However, I am on the wrong side of 55 (partner is 10 years younger) so would have limited time left in the work force.

The intention is to repay the principal on the loan from my super which I can access tax free in 4 years. The super is in cash and about $1.4m at present. If I am still working, I can pull out 10% a year for loan repayments and if not working repay the whole loan.

Question - is it feasible to get a loan on these terms?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

See a Financial Adviser.
    Areas of interest you may wish to look up prior (so that you can gauge if the Adviser you're seeing actually knows what they are talking about).

Transition to Retirement Pension
    Tax on Pension Payments on a Transition to Retirement Pension between preservation age and age 60
    Superannuation preservation age.

Terry_w and Buynow like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Even assuming you could, you would end up with a paid off ppor in a few years and no other assets. You stop working you starve.

Buynow likes this.
  4. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

I understand the super mechanisms - the question is more whether a lender would give me a loan

5. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

Super is growing by $60k a year and my partner would continue to work so it’s not that bad

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Based on your spending habits, probably not (spend more than your income as you have indicated), a bonus is not certainty of income so may not be counted by all lenders.

Upon triggering a release condition, you can withdraw all of your super, whether that is wise or not is another matter to consider.

Buynow likes this.
  7. Trainee

Thats if you dont use it to cover the ppor loan.

Partly depends on your income figures, but just on what youve said that seems like a lot of ppor for what you have and your age. A job loss or market correction would have a big impact.

If your rent barely covers interest, there are other costs, rates, repairs, insurance. Your also many years away from your kids finishing school.

Buynow likes this.
  8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Unlikely in a responsible lending environnment based the really basic data above

A 1.1 mill mortgage over say 15 years would be assessed at 10 000 a month...........

ta
    rof

Terry_w and Buynow like this.
  9. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

When you say assessed, do you mean they assume ability to make repayments of $10k a month? What about an interest only loan?

10. Scott No Mates

Still be pretty close to $7,000/month just as interest.

Compare this to your current rent of half that amount.

Buynow likes this.
  11. Trainee

Youve been renting at 3% yield. Loan assessment is at 7%+. You cant afford to buy what you are renting.

At your age without a paid off PPOR and with children 15 years away from finishing school......

Buynow likes this.
  12. Rolf Latham

an interest only loan for 5 years, means you now have 10 years to repay the loan to " exit strategy" and the deemed repayment is now 13 000 a mth

ta

rolf

Buynow likes this.
  13. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

1.1m loan at 4% is $44,000 interest a year or $850 a week - this is less than my current rent. How did you get $7,000 a month?

14. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

So lenders ignore the fact that you already have the money to make full principal repayment and require funds to be generated from earnings?

If that’s the case, I’ll likely have to wait to buy until I can actually get the super to which is 4 years at the earliest at $100k a year and then full access in 9 years. if I leave my job after 4 years, I would also have full access.

15. Trainee

Have you really done the numbers? How long will you work for and is that realistic? You lose your job and things will get bad very very quickly.

qak likes this.
  16. Rolf Latham

Pre the 2015 APRA changes, a scenario such as yours may have been saleable to to a few lenders.

even today, it may be possible, but given responsible lending obligations, lenders hands are pretty much tied.

If and when they step slightly out of line, and something goes wrong, the ambulance chasing lawyers will make it the lenders problem.

While I dont know your incomes, I do know lenders wont allow you to use all of your 140 k a year that you can draw down from super on day x for the reasons above.

Finally its has nil to do with Age but exit strategy, we recently helped source a 69 yr old semi retired person 800 k cash out for share portfolio

ta

rolf

Buynow likes this.
  17. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

Combined income would be $220k a year salary and $70k performance bonuses - about $30k of this is paid gross into super funds due to the lower tax rate. Not sure if this makes a difference?

I guess I could reduce super payments and budget tightly for six months to increase savings rate.

18. Rolf Latham

Lets assume 145 salaries x 2, and 20 years repayment possibility due to large super for U, 5 tikes, and monthly expenses of say 7 k which is probably light ?

1.1 might be doable with an 80% lend , but would require a sensational sales job.

ta
    rolf

JohnPropChat and Buynow like this.
  19. Trainee

That means you are spending maybe 120k a year after tax excluding rent? Which isnt too crazy with your income and size of family, but thats not very sustainable without a job.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2019
  20. Scott No Mates

Based on apra's assessment @ 7.5% not on 4% actual.