Repayment Holiday - How does it affect getting a new loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Jane56, 31st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jane56

Jane56 Member

Hello All,

How easy is it to get a home loan after taking a repayment holiday?
    What will bank look at for those who are potentially looking to get a new loan when:
    ** they have taken a repayment holiday?
    ** income not affected but repayment holiday taken as a way to accumulate some savings??
    ** which banks are currently open for that?

What would be your advice?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Too early to have any definitive answers to these questions, the banks are still spending a lot of time dealing with people in financial stress to have released anything significant about this.

I suspect that lenders will be understanding of those who have taken repayment holidays, but will be looking closely at their employment stability. They're going to want a lot of reassurance that you're not about to loose your job.

The banks' position is you shouldn't be taking a repayment holiday unless you're in financial stress. I don't imagine that they'd be too impressed by using it as a saving strategy. I don't imagine that this would be an immediate 'No' in itself, but it might be the thing that makes a difference if other elements aren't ideal.

3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If you've taken a repayment holiday, and you're still on a repayment holiday, and you're looking to increase the amount of credit you have then this will require justification & the application would need to be strong.

4. Jane56

Jane56 Member

Thank you for your responses...

How long will one have to wait after the repayment holiday before they can apply for more credit?