QLD Repairs - retaliatory tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by sage99, 30th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sage99

sage99 Active Member

We have a property in Qld, self managed with difficult tenant. We have self managed for many years with no major dramas but after some tips on handling this situation as we haven't come across it before.

The tenants (a couple) are on a six month lease. We only ever hear from the male partner - he was very easy going prior to moving in but once he moved in has become very difficult to communicate with. We are happy to discuss any issues but the tenant is very argumentative and it is difficult to have a normal conversation to resolve issues, he escalates even the simplest of conversations. He has been late on rent quite a few times by a few days. Recently they were over 7 days so we issued a breach notice at which point rent was paid. Several days after that we issued a notice to leave without grounds (issued at that time to match with required notice and lease end date).

He asked us if we would reconsider but before we could respond, he sent an email stating he would be "sending a big list of repairs that he expects to be done straight away". He has since sent the list today - air con not working properly, a couple of dodgy powerpoints, washers need changing, leak in bathroom cupboard and kitchen cupboard, hot water system running hot and cold etc. No further details on exactly what the issues are with the air con or "dodgy" power points. He adds at the end ...that will do for now.

None of these issues have been raised at any prior time during the lease and while we are fine to address genuine repair issues, we feel this is retaliatory in nature based on his response to the notice to leave. Any advice on the best approach? We have a little less than 2 months before they are due to vacate.

For example, with the air con, if we send someone out can we stipulate that if no issues are found that he foots the bill for the call out? Also noting we are in NSW and with COVID, unable to physically travel to the property to inspect these issues ourselves so we are relying on tradespeople.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's one of the problems with ''self managed'', all it take is one that knows the law backwards ..

A very simple way is just step back from managing and employ a Property Manager and let them sort out the problem and have a stress free life..imho..

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Keep a copy of his email, and then reply to his email saying "No, we will not reconsider."

And leave it at that.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Do you have someone you can send around to assess the need for repairs?

Obviously you cant right now but hopefully a friend/family member?
    If not maybe a handyman to address one or two of the minor issues and they can have a look at whether or not there are infact any other issues.

I guess it's the peril of of interstate self management, but a landlord friend had the same issue and got one tradie in and while there assess whether there were any issues tennants had also brought up, or whether the issue was merely the tennat themself.

jaydee likes this.
  5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I'd go with the suggested above and getr a property manager to take over, you can't inspect the property regularly, what if some of the damage was caused by the tenant?

I'd probably address in the email, due to covid you will enact repairs once the property is vacated?
    Not sure how you would go, the repairs don't seem urgent, otherwise they would've been raised sooner? A property PM would be better to advise.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Given you've managed interstate for many years, can I assume you've got some trades up here that you trust? It sounds like there's a variety of genuine issues there- some might be exaggerated but chances are there's at least something. Get your local Plumber, Electrician and Handyman to head over and fix/diagnose what they can and report back.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per others.
    You should have a handyman attend to "inspect" :cool:

I'd also make sure to reply in writing asking if the tenant has recently cleaned the air conditioner return air filter ?
    Is the hot water solar, that'd explain the hot/cold days..
    Dodgy power points sound like damaged by tenant issue !

Should things like the water leaks in cupboards actually exist these can be fixed immediately/on the day ;)

Non urgent items can then be "stalled on" until after you gain vacant possession :D
    How do you conduct exit inspection if you are based interstate ?

*The shower in our second bathroom drips all the time, the second time I replaced the washers and even reseated the seats, only after this did I realize that the kids are in too much of a hurry to get back to the Xbox to turn the taps off properly :oops:

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Like the others, I think I'd address the bathroom & kitchen leaks, ask if the air con filters have been cleaned & get the plumber to have a 'once over', to look at the other issues, even though he can't fix, he can report back to you.......and stall for all minor issues.

9. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

I would have someone like a handyman inspect and plumber for water systems

It is possible for Power point and light switches to fail over time from wear the rocker switch becomes loose, not common but is possible

There could be some genuine issues here that the tenant didn’t bother to raise until they got “triggered” so it does need to be looked into and then see what requires fixing and what is not priority or non issue for the remaining two months

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.
    We have had to replace power points that became “dodgy” or didn’t work correctly, and I can assure you it was not from mis-use.
    Some things don’t last forever.

Tom Rivera and jared7825 like this.