Repairs & Maintenance: Biggest Gripes and Issues

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by norwoodman, 25th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What are the biggest issues you have with dealing with building repairs and maintenance/Capex?

Poll closed 9th Dec, 2019.
  1. Getting easy access to reliable contractors/repairers

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Getting someone to project manage repairs/works

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Knowing when big maintenance/repair liabilities are about to occur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Understanding what major issues are affecting the building/property

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Getting technical guidance on repairs

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Finding out the cost of repairs/works

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Getting someone reliable to do building/pest inspections and reports

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

As property investors, we all inevitably come up across all sorts of building repairs or unexpected issues with renovations. I am interested in finding out more about what investors here have been up against or experienced with their own properties.

norwoodman

2. Team Tenant

Team Tenant Member

As a tenant, responding to
    Repairs & Maintenance: Biggest Gripes and Issues
    I would have to say, getting a LL/REA to acknowledge and/or enact upon a repair/maintenance is the biggest hurdle. You rarely hear back, not even an auto response. And if you do hear back, it takes forever. And after it takes forever to hear back, then you have to wait for the actual repair to happen, and that takes even longer. I notice some LL/REA often come up with the "well if you really wanted it done, you would have taken me to xCAT" and "since you didnt you obvioiusly didnt really need it...". That's in my experience. I know all LL/REA are not like this. But a lot of tenants are put in this position time and time again, and this is from a tenant that PAYS RENT on time every time. I once believed LL had an obligation to repair, in a reasonable time. Apparently not. I wish there was some rule where the LL/REA was obligated to respond to repair requests, just like the tenant has a duty to report them.

wylie, datto and Marg4000 like this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Some annoyances:

1. Where tenants don't report issues and they become bigger issues.
    2. Tradies who don't follow instructions to talk to the owner about the works and go ahead, often creating rework problems for themselves.
    3. Related to (2). Tradies who think that treating the tenant as the customer helps their position when they have not followed instructions. It doesn't.
    4. PMs who pay for repairs without checking for the quality and completeness of the work.

However, for the most part, I find tradespeople very good but I do aggressively filter out the ones I don't want to work with.

wylie and datto like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My two issues are not on your list.

1. Current tenants are really hard to organise a time/day for repairs.
    2. The REA property managers often have no idea about maintenance processes (I don’t mean the technical stuff).

For example: recently, I asked for the agency to organise a couple of quotes from air con installers for installation of an air con that I would supply (delivered new, from the supplier to take advantage of a very large builder’s group discount my builder mate has access to).

The REA insisted that no installer would install a unit they had not supplied themselves. The REA seemed to think it was a dodgy thing to be doing! How do they think air con gets installed in new builds or renos ...sigh.

wylie and datto like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Having a useless PM. Constant reminders to PM and finally arranging the repairs myself. Which leads to the fun part....telling the PM off over the phone.

Never giveup likes this.
  6. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

when the agent just takes for granted every request from the tenant and just sends LL notification without checking the issue

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

In the carton with AC units is the warranty card which requires the licensed tradie to sign off. Bunnings can arrange supply and install and the AC units is collected by the tradie from store and delivered and installed. Its a bit like supplying the part to a mechanic. They may want to charge extra to cover the 30% (example) they make on the parts.

But I can also agree with the tradie. Mate of mine is in air and I mentioned the other day a $420 split system at Bunnings. He said "No way would I install one".. Its a warranty issue for me and they are all rubbish at that price. He only installs well known brands to avoid call backs. The major brands have subcontractors who attend warranty service calls v's the cheapies who dont offer any support. You need to remove it and return to Bunnings. And guess who they call?

wylie likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done air-con both ways... buy ourselves and have our air-con guy install, but mostly we get him to pick it up and install it. Generally we don't save much (if anything) by buying ourselves. And we don't have to pick it up if we get the air-con guy to source it.

But it also helps if you trust your tradies and have a firm relationship. Which we do.

Recently our air-con guy suggested we could buy a particular unit ourselves and get a cash back, but we chose to let him sort it out. I've done that once before and the hassle of the paperwork we needed to do for the cash back was a PITA, just to save maybe $100 or $200.

Years back, we would have done that as we really needed that $100 cash back, but not so much these days, so I wouldn't bother now.