Repairs done by tenants/pool damage

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by mini2, 30th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Looks like the tenants have ripped the towel holder out, used some crappy fibreglass patch and bog like substance to patched it up then reinstalled the towel holder elsewhere. Am I within my rights to get the tenants to pay for it to be repaired properly?

Now it's the pool - it's evident that the pool has been running low for some time (comparing the water rates - there's a 60% reduction compared YoY) and some of the pebblecrete have cracked as a result. PM says it's wear and tear. I said it's consequent of running the pool being underfilled. PM wants nothing to do with it.

Do I have a leg to stand on either or both issues with the tenants?

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by the pool underfilled? I have never heard of that.

We had a pool for years, and were never given an exact water level to fill it to. So long as the skimmer box is covered and the filter works then that is all you have to do.

And just because water usage is less you cannot automatically say that the pool was affected in any way.

So no, the PM is right, you don't have a leg to stand on. Sounds like wear and tear to me. Unless it is a relatively new pool and maybe faulty workmanship?
    Marg

Joynz likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

"It rained more so I don't need to fill it...go jump" would be the response.

4. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

It's under the skimmer box and under one of the water inlets that suck water back to the filter. The cracked areas should've been covered by water if it's filled above the inlet/skimmer box.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They cannot be running the filter if the water is below the skimmer box? Or if they did, it would burn out the motor, surely?

Regarding the cracking of the pebblecrete, I would ask a pool refurbisher company their opinion, get it in writing if it supports your theory and take it to small claims.

And I'd try to get the fixing of the dodgy towel rail fix from their bond or lodge that with the small claims court too.

Until you know how much fixing these would cost you cannot really make a decision about which way to head.

Lil Skater and Perthguy like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

When a pool has a water level under the required level the pool pump would be damaged if it has been run and sucked air v's water. I wouldnt think that they havent used the pol and its maintenance issue is not their responsibility otherwise. I would not think pebblecrete condition would crack when there is lower water by 5cms. More likely a age related issue and a pebblecrete repair is a minor issue for you.

Yes they should have to pay for the damaged wall.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes tenants need to repair the towel rail properly.
    No you don't stand a chance with the pool - that's why so many PI's will not buy a place with a pool.

8. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies, think we've got a win with the towel rail - it's been confirmed it had fallen off and got their own handyman in (why would you? the tenant's wife has a history of complaining about everything...) but it was bogged up and left unpainted.

9. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

How low are the water jets? If there's been a substantially low water level for a period of time, and particulary if you have a high water table there's every possibilty the cracks can be the fault of the low water as the pressure in the ground surrounding an inground pool that isn't filled can be enough to "pop" them up out of the ground so to speak, (or crack or implode them). Proving it is another matter.

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

In Western Australia it is a breach of the lease agreement to not to report a fault or damage. Doesn't stop tenants from dodgy DIY repairs though. Our tenants ripped a towel rail off and reinstalled it with gaffa tape! :eek: When the gaffa tape was subsequently removed, it removed all the paint back to the plaster.