Repairs before Settlement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Hills123, 5th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hills123

Hills123 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Has anyone requested for repairs/minor reno to be done before settlement? I.e. I have already negotiated a reduction in purchase price, but would like to start repairing the house so that I can put it on rent quicker - these would include:
    - New floors (remove carpet, update to hybrid)
    - Restore and Repaint Roof
    - Fix some drainage issues around house
    - Add some handrails to outdoor stairs
    - Update the electricals (lights)
    - Random Handyman stuff, patch ups, new door handles etc.

Not sure if people do this, or generally wait - so thought I’d check :)

thanks!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what if it doesn't settle?

If I was the vendor I would worry about you damaging my house and then not settling.
    If i was the purchaser I would worry about the vendor refusing to settle and then you have to try to recover your costs.

Watch out for valuers timing too. A valuer coming in and seeing half completed renos will value it low.

What about the insurance issues. If something happens who is liable and who is covered?

Dan Wood, willair, Tyla and 1 other person like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

As a vendor would not agree to it.

balwoges and just_some_guy_89 like this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You are refering to "early access" !

Should have been negotiated during contract, or with a later request the vendor will demand $$'s to grant your request :oops:

Am guessing this wasn't part of your original plan, then you changed your mind ?

*Edit; these are improvements and upgrades, NOT considered repairs !
    (Possibly witb the exception of drainage issue's, maybe).

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Only permissible if you had contract clauses added in this regard into the actual contract prior to signing and agreeing by both parties.
    The vendor needs to agree, needs strict legal advise, but has been utilized on occasions.
    I often add many clauses for access between contract and settlement for taking measurements and brining in tradies for quotes to utilize the time, BUT these need to be added and negotiated with vendors prior to signing the contract, not after.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Hills123

Hills123 Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

I’ve already been given access for quotes, but agree there is a risk if settlement doesn’t happen for whatever reason. The only item I have been allowed to do is Pest Management before settlement.

Will wait till after settlement for the Reno/repairs and coordinate it all in a week so there’s not too much rent loss.

Thanks!

Stoffo and momentum26 like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done such things when we were trying to get it rented before heading overseas. We couldn't afford to leave it empty while we were away and needed rent to flow. We asked the vendor and she signed a letter allowing us to start. We did take a risk that if settlement didn't happen, we'd put our money into the property. Also, we may have been asked to return it to how it was before if settlement didn't go off.

My son also did this, again with verbal agreement of vendor, and again it was a risk.

I wouldn't recommend it, but with a willing vendor and a deadline (like we had) it can work.

8. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We've done this. The house was on the market for 6 months. It needed a full reno. They were considering doing it to try to sell. We bought it. We asked for permission to remove wallpaper (it was in EVERY room) and carpet. And we wouldn't start removing kitchen, bathroom etc. They would have been better off if it fell through.
    Worked out great as it took weeks to get that wallpaper off.
    I've tried a few other times but couldn't get agreement. One wouldn't even let us put furniture in the garage.

9. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

I have done this but was exclusively discussed and added into the contract. It is great to have something like this in place when you are 100% confident it will settle and have no hiccups whatsoever. Saved me from keeping the property vacant for 1-2 weeks.

Worst case you add the time to complete works post settlement and pre-advertising.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If I was the vendor and it was vacant I would rent it to you. Otherwise, no. You can do as you wish when its yours You getting early access adds to value...so pay me for that.