Repairing Outdoor Tiles

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Frosty123, 27th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Hoping to find out roughly how much you think a handyman/tiler should charge to replace a few tiles on an outdoor entrance.

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Frosty

2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

DIY that amount of work. Not enough for a trade to bother IMHO.

Sackie likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I had 55sqm tiled for 4.3k including material, so for that tiny space, I say 100-200?

Agree with @Phar Lap if you are handy. If you are like me, it will cost you more doing DIY :rolleyes:

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Clean up the surface and make sure its dust free and all traces of former adhesive are removed. I would give a whack with a Karcher and allow to dry. Check adhesion of edge tiles in event they are drummy and loose too. If so remove them gently. If they wont budge they may break so consider extra adhesive and inject under edge tiles. Check none of existing tiles are cracked, chipped, missing etc by laying them out in place and measure it up. If they are replace the lot. Better to know this before starting !!

I like premixed Davco external ceramic tile adhesive. Apply adhesive bed to floor using tile adhesive scrapper (notched). The adhesive can be used to build a straight level base for vertical and horizontal surfaces. Plan which tile goes under which at the top of step. (Top step should be flat with vertical under it with a gap approx 10mm. NOT touching or they will expand and pop off. Gently push tiles into adhesive for solid bond. I like to butter the tile with scraper rather than use a notched spreader for max adhesion but it can make less mess. If tiles on the vertical face are too big buy / borrow a (cheap) 100-115mm grinder and 100mm diamond blade and trim with care. Clamp the tile for safety.

Tape (masking) tiles that may slump on the adhesive face as spacers wont be effective for a gap of 6mm+ Set the tiles so they are level and flush with existing tiles (use a straight edge / level). Remove excess adhesive gently while damp with steel scraper and then GENTLY with a mildly damp clean sponge rinsing and wringing well. Should dry with only a light mist which you can clean up after cured. DONT ALLOW adhesive to set on tile. Allow to set and harden (24hrs+) then grout to match after wipe down and removing any adhesive spots. Fill that gap under tread step with (grey?) colour matched external silicone last.

To learn how to effectively grout and not leave a mess you cant remove check Youtube for lessons on grouting. Its simple. External tiles often use a cement / sand mix which bunnings sell in a small bag in the plumbing section I recall. A moist dry mix is best.ie crumbles rather than like toothpaste. Wipe down aftre 15 and 25 mins with a barely damp sponge to remove excess.

After dry wipe it all down and leave 24+ hrs to cure. Then handwash with cleaner and sponge. Consider a sealant (you can get non-slip if that an issue) for all grout / tiles after a week. Mop and allow to dry first.

Cost you around $30 + sealant + tools at bunnings

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2019
  5. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

I would do it myself, but the property is in QLD, and I'm in Melbourne :(
    I'll see if I can get a handyman to do it for $150. Thanks for the help!

Paul@PAS likes this.