Repair or replace solar HWS with electric in QLD?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Thorm, 22nd Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Thorm

Thorm Well-Known Member

I got a call early yesterday from real estate saying they received a call from a passer by that the roof is leaking and upon further inspection, it seems the solar hot water systems has sprung a leak/die. The storage tank is on the ground floor, and water is pumped up through the roof solar panels for heating. Water is leaking from underneath the panels on the roof and into the gutters, no internal problems found. Doesnt seem to be any issues with the storage tank or internal plumbing. We asked someone to go out and check and quote for repairs and they've coming back saying its dead and the whole thing needs replacing.
    Now, I'm not 100% sold on the need to replace it yet. Whole system is like, 7 years old and looks in pretty good condition. I'm getting a 2nd opionion, but in the mean time, i'm looking at options to replace with electric system if need be.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any lucky repairing something like this. And failing that, what would be a reasonable quote on replacing this system with an electic? Property is currently un-tenanted, so if there is any bright side, it's that this is not an emergancy beyond getting it done asap for incoming tenants.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't these things come with a 10 year warranty?

If you go back to an electrical based system, you'll have to allow to remove the roof unit and make good, factor that into the equation.

3. Thorm

Thorm Well-Known Member

Yeah, first thing i did was to call the service number and the people that have taken over said that brand went bust a while ago and no longer have a warranty on the product.

4. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Thats bs. The insurer didnt go bust just the seller.
    They would have paid so much for insurance and shiuld still.honor it.
    Just lazy i say

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Unfortunately things just aren't made like they used to be. I had the logic board fail on an 8 year old solar HWS for me recently and my Plumbers warned that other components probably aren't far behind it. We replaced the board for $400 because I couldn't stomach losing the whole system over one component- but it sounds like yours is more thoroughly broken. You're probably going to be shocked at the cost of replacement, most people will just replace with straight electric in IP's. The tenants don't seem to really value the energy savings of solar hot water in my experience, though yours might be different?

6. Thorm

Thorm Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. You're pretty much spot on. Going through quotes to replace with electric atm. Getting quotes between $1600 and $3500. Probably going with a mob to install a Rheem 315ltr ($1900) or 250lt tank ($1800). Real estate is recommended 250ltr, but im not sure if its not worth just paying and extra $100 for 315ltr.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Depends how big the house is. 250L is plenty big enough for a family home, but if it's -say- 5-Bed+ you'll probably benefit from the bigger unit.

Thorm likes this.
  8. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

Not sure if you've got this sorted Already.

What brand is your solar hws?
    If it's a solahart or Edwards or rheem - call rheem directly.

I would probably get the manufacturer out to diagnose the leak rather than an independent contractor.
    I've seen first hand how an independent will say it's 'dead' or needs replacing when the issue is fixable and will cost you a small percentage of the cost of a replacement.

Most leaks from solar hws panels occur due to the washers disintegrating. (Though yours may have another issue)