Renting knockdown/complete dwellings before DA complete

Discussion in 'Development' started by hotmustard, 29th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hotmustard

hotmustard New Member

Hi guys,

Quick question around a multi dwelling development under a DA.

If I was to buy a knockdown and put in a DA to build 3x townhouses on the land, could I engage a builder to build two to completion and continue to rent out the knockdown house during construction? Then once they are complete rent them out while doing the knock down and building the third?

Obviously this would only make sense if the building costs didn't go up more than any rental income, but wanted to know if it was possible. Holding costs of the land + 3x complete buildings will really cut into me and I'd like to minimize this as much as possible if I can.

Thanks heaps everyone

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What's the likely rent for the period? If it's that tight, should you really do it (yet)?

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

all has been done before

some tennants dont like living on a site....others dont mind much if the price is right

ta

rolf

4. hotmustard

hotmustard New Member

It's mainly a bit of insurance against a delay in the construction, obviously will do the sums to work out if it's going to save money but wanted to see if it was actually possible first.

Also, is there a generally accepted minimum access width for construction? The driveway on the property i'm looking at is 3m, would that cause issues with the builders?