Renter dilemma. Ex-fiance moved out, new housemate moving in - do I tell my PM?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Orion, 6th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Tell the PM?

1. Yes - do the right think but take the risk

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No - no real need to, as long as the rent is paid and property well looked after

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I currently rent a 2 bedroom apartment. The year long lease just finished and now it's month to month.

My ex moved out, and I've interviewed flatmates and have found a high income, responsible 30 year old guy who wants to move in and share the rent. I was paying the full rent previously anyway, and have been an excellent tenant, rent paid on time every month and no maintenance requests.

It was previously an owner occupied property, a nice one, and the owners are working overseas and may move back at any stage.

I want to do the right thing and tell the PM, although I'm concerned the owners might not like the fact it's two single guys instead of a couple in their property nor do I want to give them an opportunity to rethink what they are doing with their living situation.

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You're still there - I think they like you.
    In general, paying the rent on time is the main concern. Do it consistently and the worm turns - they love you and don't want to lose you.
    The other concern is how well you keep the property. If you do a major clean up before inspection, the PM will refer to you as an excellent tenant (keeping regular rent payments in mind).
    I'd make sure the apartment is meticulous at the next inspection and leave a vase of flowers on the bench or table (just because you like that sort of thing).
    A week or two later, head down to the REA to get your new flatmate on the lease, just because you want to do the right thing. Heavenly! Who could ask for more!

SarahD likes this.
  3. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If you've picked a good tenant, do you really think they will mind that much? It's not uncommon for two single guys to live in a 2 bedroom apartment. Even more so if you give them the background of the break up.

kierank and KayTea like this.
  4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It's better than the PM (and most likely, the landlord) find out because you've chosen to disclose the information, rather than waiting for a routine inspection to take place (with the usual photo evidence) that will make it clear that there has been a change in a tenant/living arrangements.

Be honest - if you don't tell them, then it looks like you've got something to hide.

SarahD, qak and kierank like this.
  5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Are you the only one on the lease?

If yes - whether your ex or your friend is resident - It doesn't appear to be any different?

However, if your potential flat mate is paying half the rent then best to have them on the lease. They have skin in the game and this is good for you (and the landlord).

I can't see why this would be an issue.

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You have to tell them and the other person will be subject to checks......but is a formality really, LL will be mainly wanting to know who is there and complying with insurance considerations.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It will be rather obvious to the PM during a routine inspection that your woman-friend has been replaced with a man-acquaintance.

Definitely let them know and submit an application. If there's been a chance of tenants but the tenancy has otherwise been completely smooth running, there's no reason for this to be anything but an administrative switchover.

kierank likes this.
  8. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Nothing irks me more when tenants move in a friend (or someone else) and don't tell me. I'm left to explain to the owners what's going on and then continually chase the existing tenant to get the lease agreement/bond changed.

Go to your agent, have your new roommate fill in an application and do the process. Agent will thank you for it and it's also easier to have the bond changed over before ex-fiance will no longer cooperate.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

My first IP was a revolving door of one person moving out, another moving in, prior to our ownership. I believe it was generally disclosed to the owner, but none of the paperwork was correctly completed.

When the tenants moved out as we moved in, none of the bond documentation had been properly lodged and updated. It was a nightmare to get the bond refunded, it took weeks to find the original tenant who'd moved out 5 years ago. My response to the complaining tenants was that it's not my fault the paperwork wasn't done properly.

I generally wouldn't have a problem with a replacement individual as long as their application checks out okay. Better than a single tenant that is going to struggle to afford the rent on their own and likely start doing things without disclosing it.

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

that is a fantastic effort to find someone after 5 years!

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think he was in Perth (property was in Brunswick). Had to track him down through a chain of ex-tenants.

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

OK, so the flatmate is already in... do I tell the agent that he's 'just about to' move in?

Or that he has already moved in and I want to fill out an application?

13. Tom Rivera

It's probably better to suggest he hasn't moved in yet, and he's waiting for their approval. He's currently living there illegally.

Zoolander likes this.
  14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Just to close this one off - I called agent and she asked me to submit a new application. Not an issue at all. $110 fee though :(

It's interesting to experience this from the tenants viewpoint, I can see why people don't do it now (although the hesitation isn't really required).

15. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Umm why was there a fee?

I suspect that might not be lawful...

Tom Rivera and Ed Barton like this.
  16. val

val Well-Known Member

Delete facebook and hit the gym if you must get a male housemate to replace your lover and the scent of a woman.

17. Tom Rivera

Agreed. Wow.

18. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yes, the fee is odd but I understand why PMs want to know who is in the property. I bet it happens all the time with share houses that there is a turnover of tenants and a year or two down the track the person whose name is on the lease doesn't even live in the property. That causes problems for everyone.

Lil Skater likes this.
  19. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Section 84 of the RTA, agent cannot charge a fee to the tenant - however if the agent charges the owner a fee the owner can pass on those charges.

Depends on the agent who actually charges it or not though, I personally feel a lot of agents aren't actually charging the owners for this service and therefore contravening S84. But if they can demonstrate that the owner is liable for the fee, then they can charge it.

Attached Files:

Tom Rivera likes this.
  20. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Interesting. I figured this fee 'to the owner and then passed onto me' is charged due to the admin work required and the additional NTD check?

It does sound wrong though...