Rental tracker spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by mr_alex, 11th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

My tenant sometimes pays rent a bit less frequently than desired, meaning sometimes payments could be spaced 5 upto 10 days apart instead of 7 days for weekly rent. I have my own tracker spreadsheet for this but I find it hard sometimes to convey this to the tenant, eg. If he has paid a few rents that have been 8 or 9 days apart, this equates to a missed rent and then there is a bit of a back and forth with me explaining this.

Ive thought of sending them a rental statement every month so they can clearly see which week their rent has gone towards etc. What are some solutions to prevent this happening in the future or any good rental statements or reciepts/spreadsheets out there that clearly show what's been paid and owed/missed/extra/partial rent payments. Thanks

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I now pay a property manager, but I dug out an old spreadsheet for one property. I had a line for each fortnight (this tenant paid fortnightly).

The start and end of the fortnight never changed, and I'd enter the actual rent paid on the day it was paid. That way, the tenant could see at a glance if they were behind.

I made notes on the side about water usage and reimbursement and anything out of the ordinary that I might need.

Image 11-5-2022 at 9.14 am.jpeg

3. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that, I will definitely be getting a property manager in if I ever need to relist.

So if a tenant misses rent for 1 pay period, would you leave that period blank on the tracker so that it's easily seen which period was missed, or would you fill that in with the next rent so the rent payments are now not aligned with the pay periods, but you could still clearly see they are a rent behind. Just having a bit of trouble adapting this for a tenant in simple illustrated spreadsheet.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You could have a column for what is expected to be due. Then another for when its paid. Any late or unpaid should be clear.

Note when you dont use a PM that RECEIPTING the period being paid is VERY important to tribunals. A spreadsheet isnt a receipt etc

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

September 18th rent arrived and should have been paid on the 14th. If they missed a fortnight, I would still record the next rent received in the next available cell, and it would be clear they are now a fortnight late.

I also put which rent was due which day in my diary so I never had to wonder if the rent had been paid.

I also would have contacted them and/or issued a notice to remedy breach by that time. We never had to do that though.

6. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Use a sheet similar to the one posted above, if not aligned to pay period you could use a column "rent paid to" which is calculated from the amount paid and the previous paid to date this would show if behind

If missed for a period you could add comments - same as when a double/extra payment is made to make up for that missed one

AFAIK there is no receipt required to be issued in QLD for electronic payments but if asked for must be provided along with the payment records within a defined time

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Just need a field/column to track the number of days in arrears or advance.
    Hate to say it, but schools should really be teaching children how to read and understand a tenancy ledger as that is the way the world is going. The amount of adults who cannot even basic math or understand this stuff is rough.....

Tom Rivera and Phoenix Pete like this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The date that they transferred you the money should be divorced from the "paid from/to" dates.

For example, if the rent is $350wk and they are paid to 01/01 prior to the below 'ledger' entries:
    DATE AMOUNT PAID FROM/TO
    01/01 $700 01/01-14/01
    08/01 $350 15/01-21/01
    10/01 $300 22/01-27/01
    24/01 $725 28/01-09/02 (Part-Payment $25)

You can see from the above that the tenants are paying irregularly, in some cases only part of a week's rent, but they are not in arrears. This ledger reflects "effective paid to" dates, which is the true date, since rent is really calculated daily regardless of whether tenants are due rent weekly/fortnightly/monthly.

The numbers are more painful when the rent can't be perfectly divided into 7, in which case you might find it easier to reflect the part-payment as any amount that isn't equal to a full week, which would make the example differ as below. Bear in mind however that the part payments are still considered rent paid, so in the below example the effective paid to date on the last entry is still 09/02, it's just expressed differently:
    DATE AMOUNT PAID FROM/TO
    01/01 $700 01/01-14/01
    08/01 $350 15/01-21/01
    10/01 $300 21/01-21/01 (Part-Payment $300)
    24/01 $725 22/01-04/02 (Part-Payment $325)

Excel is a very powerful tool, you can probably build formula to fill in some of these fields automatically as well?

Michael Mitchell likes this.