Rental Management QLD after Settlement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sheep112, 13th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheep112

Sheep112 Well-Known Member

Hi all

My investment property will settle next week. I'm in Sydney and the property is in Brisbane.
    3brm townhouse in Runcorn.

I got a call from the sales agent that the tenant want to move out but they have a contract till the end of October this year.

What is my option here? I haven't signed anything with the existing onsite manager who is managing the property.

Some experience advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

2. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

Hi Sheep,

The tenant is obligated to abide by the lease and as the new property owner so do you. So no change to the tenants obligations and likewise the property owners obligations don't change (you are simply the new owner). Please see your contract, it should state that the property is being sold with a tenant in place until a stipulated date.

As for your relationship with the property manager, I believe this does not transfer. I personally would aim for this process to be smooth especially if you're looking at an upcoming vacancy and stick with the agent (if suited) and reassess when it's time to look for a new tenant.

Why is the tenant looking to move? If an ok tenant would be nice to just roll on through don't you think? Keep that train rolling...

Hope that helps was somewhat unsure of what you're asking :)

3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It's good that the current PM is the OSM. I would suggest to appoint them ASAP. (I'm surprised they haven't approached you). Interview/Talk to them and gauge their strength and weakness so that you can keep a close eye initially. Pick their brains on issues and improvement opportunity, even strategy to retain Tenants.

The Sales Agent might offer free PM for you but from experience, OSM wins hands down, generally. Not sure why they didn't get the sale.

Agree with DB, current lease is valid even with change of Ownership. Fortunately you can retain the same PM- less hassle.

On another note, would humbly suggest you join the Committee. Plenty to keep yourself abreast with. You can spend as much or as little time as you like....

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It is up to you to appoint a PM. And yes, the lease is valid regardless of which PM.

By all means consider the OSM, but be aware that these managers purchase the rights to manage the complex and do a RE course to quality them to manage rentals.

Their abilities vary wildly, and sometimes their focus seems to be on keeping tenants happy rather than absent owners. After all, they see the tenants every day.

We have had some great OSMs, but also one or two that were inexperienced and hopeless.
    Marg

5. Sheep112

Thanks for the reply. We plan on using the current OSM. The current want to move out 21/7 stating the purchased a property to move into.

They would have to keep paying rent till we find a tenant? From what I have been hearing this OSM became close friend with the tenant. They put the ad up for rent last week without letting me know. Any fees associated with finding a new tenant should be on the current tenant?

Also what is a good management fee for Runcorn QLD area? The OSM haven't discussed this with me. We have signed any agreement.

Thanks
    Rich.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be calling the OSM and make sure he knows you will be looking for the tenant to honour the lease and pay the costs of what is a break lease if they do break the lease. OSM might think you don't know about it. I'd do that today.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Legally the PM doesn't have to contact you until you own the property (next week)?

If you intent to retain the PM, ask for the agreement to be sent to you. This will disclose all fees and charges, which are able to be negotiated if you are not happy with them.
    Marg

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And try to cross out re-lease fee? There is a recent thread on it. I self manage so don't have to worry about this buy if I was paying a PM I'd not want to pay a week's rent to sign a new lease with the same tenant.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Don't just go with the agent who sold it to you unless they're good - research first. We lost over a month of rent because the sales agent were completely incompetent (didn't advertise the property, I have a thread on it if you're interested).

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Once you own it, you can say....yes, let the, go, or, no the lease stands along with all the regs, ATM your say means nothing, but I would indicate which one is a preference and if going is the preference, make sure you speak to solicitor and have it changed to vacant posession.

This has the potential to be very costly for you, find out exactly what the score is before settling or at least have a good chat with your solicitor.

11. Sheep112

Can anybody tell me what an appropriate management fee in Brisbane is?
    The agreement has 8.8%.
    And letting fee is 110% of first week.
    How would I deal with this case when the tenant want to move out and they should be paying for all fees associated with finding a tenant? They still have a contract till October.

Thanks

Rich.

12. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

Hi Rich

Brisbane, Logan average management fees are 7-9%

The cost you have quoted are about right, you may find slightly lower than 8.8%, look over the contract and make sure there are no other charges such as administration fees, extra advertising fees, inspection fees, etc

As there is a lease in place the current tenants will be responsible for associated break lease costs and rent until a new suitable tenant is placed.

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think you have more pressing issues than PMs and PM fees, which seems to be the focus now.

Your either getting the place with a tenant, or vacant, I would clear that up now, because if they are going (how much of a heads up do you need ? They have megaphoned it too you - lucky you IMO), I would ask for vacant possession.

Pumpkin likes this.