Rental Income GST & Tax Return

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by thesuperman, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

If an accountant is doing a trust tax return for a commercial property where you collect GST from the tenant & claim GST on any purchases for the property, therefore you pay GST on your annual BAS statement, does the accountant use all the ex-GST figures for the tax return or incl-GST figures?

I thought it would be ex-GST figures but an accountant said it's incl-GST figures even thought GST is already declared & paid on the annual BAS.

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

The rental schedule in the tax return will be ex gst.

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Accounting systems work ex GST

4. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Ok two people have said it's ex-GST, which is what I was thinking too. Wondering how the accountant could've thought it's incl-GST that you had to put in the tax return...

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What ? Thats first year tax stuff. GST goes to ATO and the after GST amounts are used for tax and financial reporting. If this is your issue I will personally discuss and review and guide your Tax Practitioners Board complaint and claim for a refund. Free. Contact me. I would be appalled if this is fact.