Rental improvements/add on

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Trinhy, 19th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trinhy

Trinhy New Member

Still a few weeks to settle on our first IP and looking for feedback on what are some rental property add ons or improvements that will either add more rent, improve quality of tenant or help keep the property in better condition and also any to avoid if it will just be a headache down the track. Looking for feedback on here before speaking with property managers to have a balanced thought on what to get or not.

Newly renovated 3br house with 1 bathroom in western Sydney with decent lawn front and back lawn. No garage or carport.

A few items I am wondering about:
    - Dishwasher, there’s a void under bench so thinking a dishwasher would be good to get
    - Shed? there’s no garage or storage for a lawn mower etc, might be good to store lawnmower and bikes etc. Will this encourage a neater yard?
    - Carport? Long driveway with 2 side by side parking spots at end, no garage but would putting a carport on it be worth it?
    - Awning in backyard? No covered areas in backyard but an awning will also make the kitchen and dining areas a little darker.
    - Dryer (there’s a clothes line)
    - Concrete or paving to join the driveway to the path/porch

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Dishwasher, carport with shed at end and concrete path [will help prevent dirt being walked into house].... :)

Coen and Trinhy like this.
  3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Under the assumption this will be a long term investment:
    - dishwasher will definitely be appealing
    - air-con is a big plus at the moment if budget stretches that far
    - flyscreens on the windows
    - built-ins if not already there
    - no need for a dryer in western Sydney
    - carport/shed/path will complete the house but might not get ROI, could be used to help improve the house for the right tenant and get it done after tenant moves in

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Clothes dryers can be something to provide the standard wall bracket for. BUT damage to walls is common during install or removal and consider ventilation.
    Check smoke alarm compliance
    DWashers can be cheap. I like the Beko - Affordable, quiet and a 5 year onsite warranty included. (Appliances online). If plumbing / power is there its simple to install. Measure first. The top lid can be removed if needed in underbench models
    AC is almost essential
    Check appliances and note all models etc and interior condition. Consider replacement soon if older. Murphy's law says elements will fail within 30 days of the lease.
    Earth leakage compliance (test button)
    Outside water taps and hoses - Hard to maintain lawn etc and this will assist.
    Consider planting trees etc to stop parking on lawns and nature strip. A cheap way to avoid damage
    The carport wont attract much by way of deductions (2.5% pa) and doubtful it will assist rent in any way other than it being present.
    General pest service. Flick offer a $49mth service which includes 2 x 6mthly treatment in and out. Do that and you wont get complaints.
    LL insurance

Trinhy likes this.
  5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Trinity,
    congratulations on taking the leap into investment!
    1.Have you interviewed any property mangers? and compared and contrasted their styles and prices?
    2.Have you had a look (one day when you are bored!!) at the latest NSW legistlation?
    3.Have you had a look at what is your competition available to rent?(and made your property just little bit more appealing than theirs? So you can have the best pick of tenants?
    I hope this helps

Angel, wylie and Trinhy like this.
  6. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Sorry should be Trinhy.
    I take responsibility for my spell checker....o_O

Trinhy likes this.
  7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

There's already been some great advice here that I thoroughly agree with, I just wanted to add that I think the carport is really important! Generally the concrete slab is the expensive part anyway, the actual roof and support structure is not too pricey. The trick is making sure it doesn't look ugly and detract from the front facade, which could involve ornamentation that makes it more expensive (e.g. merbau cladding?). It's a cheap way to turn a 3-Bed 1-Bath 0-Car into a 3-Bed 1-Bath 1-or-2-Car, which are key numbers for advertising.

Coen and Trinhy like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.