Rental hassle in Ipswich - need some advice

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MKY, 28th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MKY

MKY Active Member

HI...wish everyone a merry xmas!

We are a family of four and just landed Brisbane from Japan and rented a place in ipswich which advertised itself as furnished and comes with 2 x queens bed and 1 x double bed. When we took over the key, everything are fine except that we found out that the three bedrooms were only equipped with 1 x double bed and 2 x single beds. There are some minor problem with the woodware of the house but nothing we couldnt bear with. We tried to ask the owner to switch the beds back to us as advertised, but they insisted the place was handled over to us in the same state as we inspected (virtually done over video conference 1 month ago, and we couldnt have found that out even if it was true). However, it is clearly stated in the rental contract that the place should come with 2 x QB and 1x DB.

We actually dont mind to buy our own bed but the problem is we have no where to store the old ones by the owner...and they refuse to move them away..meaning I may have to spend all the money to move them to storage and pay the storage fee...if we choose to do so.

How is the renter protection law look like in Queensland? Is there anything else I can do?

Any advice is highly appreciated.
    Testuo

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. MKY

MKY Active Member

HI Y-man,thanks for the link, its helpful.

But it does not call out the owner's action/responsibility (or my right) if the furniture in the rental Unit does not align with what have been documented in the rental agreement in a furnished unit.

Wondering if anyone has similar experience that they could share?

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

By the sound's of this you are dealing with the owners and not through a property management company..
    First cab off the rank would be ring the RTA Qld and explain your situation as they are very helpful and also find out if the bond has been lodged..

Stoffo and The Y-man like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you are a couple with two children, then could the children have single beds, and if you want a queen bed, perhaps buy one and store just one bed, perhaps dismantled and stored safely somewhere?

I guess it will depend on how long you are likely to be renting there, as to how much hassle you want to go through.

MKY likes this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

RTA would be very helpful. But in all honesty it depends on how long you are staying there if it’s worth the huddle. Say RTA orders them to fix the issue. Usually they give them a time frame (say 3 months). That plus the time it would take to get the ruling from RTA, you are likely to be waiting for half a year to get it fixed.

I would just look for a better rental somewhere else. Unless you are locked in for a while. Then I would probably just get my own bed and place this one somewhere cheap or store it somewhere in the house.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think furnished rentals are less usual, so there is less regulatory oversight.

The Y-man

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Could'nt tell by the video inspection that the beds were single? Do you ask?
    Though I would refer to the contract.
    If I was willing to buy my own bed I'd store it on the kurb. Not in the contract, not part of contents.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. MKY

MKY Active Member

Yes, just found it unreasonable I am paying extra for the furniture but then I have to spend my own space to store something for the owner on their mistake.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How long is the lease ?
    Is it via a rental agency/real estate ?

I'd buy my own and notify them that "theirs supplied is no longer required due to not being as specified in the rental contract, and will be available for collection"
    In the front YARD of the property (unless otherwise arranged)......

If they baulk and sook, start looking for another rental !

MKY likes this.
  11. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

TBH this is a small issue.

Just use these beds for now and get your own. I never understand why someone would want a fully furnished house in the first place. That bed probably has been slept on by many ppl and you dont know how clean they are or what they were doing on that bed. Some ppl are absolutely disgusting animals that have zero hygiene.

To me I'd rather the owner remove all the furniture and I'll buy my own. I dont even like staying at hotels because of this. If you shine a UV light on that bed or surroundings you'll see things you never want to see. LOL

12. MKY

MKY Active Member

I was renting a furnished apartment because I just moved to AUS from JAP. I need to either stay with hotel/airbnb before i could furnish my rental, or rent somewhere for 6 months furnished.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Solution. Buy 2 new beds. Tell owner they can retain 1 new QB and 1 new DB in exchange for 2 old singles as there is insufficient place for storage for the old beds and that is their problem for misrepresentation of the bedding. You want their ok to dispose of their beds OR consent to you doing so (council clean up or skip) but will agree to leave the new beds on departure ......otherwise there is a need to progress a tenancy dispute as the property is not suitable for use and you want to avoid that cost impact for moving out and legal costs and the hassles for all involved. Less a threat but more a explanation.
    Most problems can be solved by meeting somewhere in the middle.