rental arrears insurance claim periodic lease

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mark, 28th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

The tenants stopped paying rent for about 3 weeks and was informed to leave by the property manager. They left 3 weeks after receiving the notice of leave. The tenants were on periodic lease. How many days of rental areas i can claim back from the insurance company? I heard that for periodic lease i can only get the compensation from the date the tenants stop paying rent to 2 weeks after issuing notice of leave. Is that correct? Thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The insurer would be the one to ask. Policies define the cover.
    You can invalidate a claim through allowing arrears and other issues. You rinsurer may also limit the period of loss until a new tenant or just a few weeks. excess ?

3. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

As a general rule a landlord insurance policy will only cover what the tenant is legally liable for, and as the notice period on a periodic lease varies by State, the period of rent covered will vary (by State). Secondly, it will of course depend entirely on which specific insurance policy you have. There are some which have little or no cover on a periodic lease as they require the tenant to be on a "fixed term lease". You will need to check specifically as all policies will vary as to what cover is included.

D.T. likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.