rent

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by np999, 18th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Macron in France started suspending all rent payment as France shuts down, and today here in Australia the media started reporting politicians are pleading with landlords to be flexible and don't evict.

while I agree with this in principle, there are no details on how this is done in practice?

if I'm a renter, can I just tell my agent I won't pay next week's rent?

it's caused a big alarm and URW was sold off over 30% before recovering some ground, and scentre was down over 10%.

are there any legal basis for stop paying rent?

I sympathize with the retailers but what about office renters?

Oliver Shane likes this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Lol no, in short.

HUGH72, Codie, Rugrat and 1 other person like this.
  3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Rent : a tenant's regular payment to a landlord for the use of property or land....
    It's in your rental agreement.
    No rent = no stay

I did hear a rumour that some (overseas) governments may subsidise rents of people proved to be directly affected by COVID.19 closures.
    No facts, but I think it was to support social housing, not private.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Couple of things here.

Europe - unlike Australia, I understand home ownership is very low and that almost everyone rents - this means rental policies can have effect on a larger proportion of people (happy to be corrected)

Commercial - yes, these can be brutal. However, if the owner has a loan on the property, it would be advisable to negotiate with the tenant (rent holidays etc) rather than having them go out of biz, and have the bank call in the loan. Even if you didn't have a loan, it may be better to keep a tenant who has some likelihood of recovery than going vacant.

The Y-man

Beano, KayTea, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Well if my mortgage payments can be stopped/postponed exactly like rent by the banks, i am up for it

But all landlords are rich and greedy ........so

jprops, HUGH72, Codie and 4 others like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I believe mortgage holidays should be seriously looked at for specific cases.... and that is coming from someone who holds a lot of bank shares....

The Y-man

Rugrat and KayTea like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've already discussed this in-house and will need to decide on a case by case basis. The larger/multi-site tenants will get nothing/little, the small business types we'll consider going to half rent. Better to carry a tenant than to have 12 months of vacancy and $0/month.

The Y-man likes this.
  8. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Mortgage payments will be capitalized at best, rent if allowed to pay later will end up in court for financial hardship. Insurance won't cover as they haven't been evicted as per "normal" times and rules.

No winning.

9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

How do you legally evict someone that had coronavirus and the whole house is under Quarantine as it spreads through the household.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Under the normal provisions of the lease eg breach, 90 days for no reason, end of lease.

11. Christopher Kocksch

Christopher Kocksch Member

I’m French, have followed the French news and just want to clarify that the rent and utilities suspension over there is only for businesses, not residential.

12. km1974

km1974 Well-Known Member

I wonder if household rents may actually increase in cost.

I think many people who were about to buy would freeze off and or "just rent" for the prices to "come down", so unless I'm missing something, there should be more demand for rental properties.

Also, I wonder if landlords will start vetting possible tennants more, e.g. would you rather lease an IP to a couple who both work in cafes/restaurants or to a couple who work e.g. in the medical industry?

Codie and Coffee like this.
  13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yep. I imagine tribunals / magistrates courts will soon be closed or operating at very diminished capacity at best. Good luck evicting somebody.

14. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

A colleague asked me this today and I said the same thing. Holding property costs money, it’s unreasonable to expect us to give free rent.

15. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

I'll allow tenants to "not pay rent" if I can claim the rental loss as an tax offset (not a deduction) or the government should transfer rent to landlords on behalf of struggling tenants and to do my bit I am willing to take 20% less rent during the crisis.

Fair go has to be fair for everyone (landlords including)

Codie and np999 like this.
  16. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

I won't be reducing the rent on my property, I have already done the right thing by the tenant over the past 3 years. So I might have a battle on my hands by the sound of it.

17. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

I could see some sort of a plan like this working.
    Renters impacted by unemployment/sickness etc could apply for reduced/free rent. The banks would then stop interest and give a payment holiday to the landlord. Then the Govt would maybe cover the cost to the bank. With very low-interest rates anyway, maybe it would be not too expensive to implement.
    Tenant isn't homeless, Landlords and Bank could probably manage, but may not make money. Reasonably cheap bailout for the Government. No-one really wins, but we all manage to exist.

18. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

I held a property but it is hard work even with a good property manager. I always felt it was only one bad tenant away from turning a reasonable investment into a bad one so sold out. A downturn should be considered in the costings as much as a bad tenant and investing in property or any other asset class, never was a one-way bet.

19. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

I have listed a property with a slightly reduced rent to hopefully generate a lot of applicants. The hope is I can choose someone in a "safe" industry.

20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So is the discussion about "postponing" rental payments or allowing "rent free" for a few weeks ?

If the majority of resi tenants don't have enough income to carry over a few weeks maybe they should be using some of that holiday leave they have been saving up......
    If commercial can't carry a few weeks then they shouldn't be in business.......

I do understand many more people than ever are casual these days and life is harder being casual, I spent many years being a casual and always kept a buffer, that 25% loading isn't exactly pub money"!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia