Renovation + tradie + supply lead times in sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mike7575, 28th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

Hi PCers,

I'm looking at buying an old apartment that needs a total reno.

What are the lead times like for tradies and renovation companies ATM?

Also are there huge delays in ordering supplies?

I'm a newbie to renovations.. Are there any things I should look out for?

The apartment is only a 1 bed 50sqm internal but it's in a blue chip suburb with water views. I won't be stretched financially but just concerned about problems with actually carrying out the renos.

David_SYD likes this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If you want any replies to this post, you may want to add the suburb/city.

3. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

Thanks, the title says Sydney. It's in neutral bay but I thought this was a problem across all of Sydney

David_SYD likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Sydney is a big place, especially as it now encompasses Penrith, Campbelltown & Northern beaches.

5. doubles08

doubles08 Member

We're from the North Shore and builders were quoting 6 to 12 months earlier this year. Recently, we've had a few builders who ghosted us previously call us back to see what our needs were.

David_SYD likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'm in South Sydney

Took 2 attempts and 4 months to get a bathroom/laundry/Living/garage and balcony tiling started, so not a small job being some 250sq,

It was gutted and ready to be waterproofed a week prior to the first tiler supposedly starting (had paid a deposit a month prior to lock it in and everything).....

3 months later the second tiler started, did 2 days and haven't seen them for 2 days now :rolleyes:

Ordered the tiles we wanted and they only took a week to arrive :cool:

Attached Files:

7. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Not Sydney but Canberra. I am noticing that trades are quicker to schedule quotes and I have had a couple who brought forward appointments due to cancellations. Most can commence work in under two weeks - solar installation 2 days, asbestos removal - 3 days, plumber expected in 2 days after quote acceptance. Most say they are busy but not "stupid" busy.

Most building supplies I am currently buying (timber, plasterboard, etc) are available apart from insulation and that has been a problem for several months. Flyscreen also seems in short supply. Windows (custom double glazed expected to take 10 weeks from order at end May -due in three weeks).

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its easy to get quotes in Sydney. Just be prepared for the price. The quicker...the higher. If you are flexible with start dont let it limit you chasing a reliable contractor. Just do your checks on their reliability

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia