Renovation/Town Planning question

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jigga, 3rd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jigga

Jigga New Member

i have a quick question re town planning, I thought someone here might be able to assist.

I have a high set Queenslander and down stairs is on a slab. It has walls, a door, the washing machine/dryer (laundry) and plumbing for a toilet (I recently removed the actual toilet). At the moment the way it has been done, you would not sleep there.
    I want to make it into a livable space with a renovation. New walls, doors, windows, toilet, and the addition of a shower etc.

My question is, do I technically need to go through council planning if the area already has a laundry/ toilet and is built in?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not sure what the QLD situation is. Usually structural changes need a permit. But if you are just replacing like for like, probably no issue.

However, check how high the ceiling will be if you need to put one in. Will it be high enough to meet the NCC rules for a habitable room?

Also, all slabs are not equal - a slab poured for a laundry may not meet required waterproofing standards for a habitable room.

You can also ask Council anonymously what is required.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer