Renovation to apartment on top of mine

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Apprentice, 6th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Apprentice

Apprentice Active Member

In an unofficial capacity, the plans have been given to all except myself and another owner. It does not affect these other owners so they will be voting for it.

Update is that the services will be moved and that a raised floor will be used to house the pipes from the new fixtures to the existing system.

So we will have a series of pipes for hot water, cold water, sewerage and gas at their floor level and above us in our ceiling.

What sort of problems will this present?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess possibly leaking pipes is a possibility (but assume this would be covered by their insurance).

The bigger problem might be the noise as water and sewerage flow through the pipes.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Apprentice

Make sure the vote gets set up in a way where the default is "NO" - i.e. most of the don't care apartments will not vote or proxy to the chair. Make abstentions and the chair vote be "NO" to the reno. Lobby the committee.

The Y-man

Last edited: 7th Aug, 2019
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The biggest noise issue will be if you end up with a toilet over your bedroom. It would be tricky to deal with that through a simple raised floor, though. Relocating a kitchen and accommodating the services with a raised floor is easy - I did it with my kitchen at home. Have you talked to the strata manager about getting access to the plans?

5. Apprentice

Apprentice Active Member

I thin
    Yes, my concern is the toilet over my bedroom. I hope they cant do a toilet with a raised floor. Why would it be tricky to do a toilet and not a kitchen?
    The Strata Manager will not release the plans until he is given the approval from the owner.

6. Depreciator

A kitchen sink just requires a 50mm waste. I can't see how anybody can vote on it without seeing the plans before the meeting.

7. Apprentice

Apprentice Active Member

I hope to get the plans before any meeting.

Does a toilet require more room and therefore a higher raised floor in that area?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Acoustic report confirming no increased noise ?
    BCA room heights and compliance with current code ? eg waterproofing and openings and possibly fire protection collars.

Apprentice likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-8_12-29-54.png

Apprentice likes this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What if they are making a squat toilet? :eek:

The Y-man

Apprentice and Depreciator like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just put in a long drop.

(& don't worry about how deep it goes into the property below).

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As the OP has stated, most of the other residents don't care because it doesn't affect them o_O
    @Apprentice, just make sure when you get your oppertunity to speak that you voice that "this is a precedence, and if passed anyone in the complex could do the same" (above you also), that will get the other owners thinking :p
    @Paul@PFI what would it cost to have an accoustic report done prior (to prove any change in noise) ?

Apprentice likes this.
  13. Depreciator

Great idea to talk to other owners about the precedent. Maybe to get someone onside, tell the owner bellow you that if this one gets approved you are thinking about moving your toilet and positioning it right above where you suspect the pillow on their bed would be.

Apprentice and Stoffo like this.
  14. Apprentice

Apprentice Active Member

Having an acoustic report done is a great idea. Would I have to wait till they flush the toilet :rolleyes:

15. Apprentice

Apprentice Active Member