Renovation to a truly awful shared laundry

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Depreciator, 28th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The paid machines will be connected to taps under the sinks - a bit hard to access. The taps over the sinks will not have a thread.
    If any private machines do find their way into that room, I will pay a visit with my trolley and they will leave the room (after appropriate notices have been given).
    I'm curious as to how the room will be treated. It can be sort of a social experiment. I will report back if anything interesting happens.

Archaon and qak like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Put in a communal storage box for online deliveries and things like laundry. They will love you for it. And a notice board so people can leave passive aggressive messages

The Shirt Butler | Pick Up Laundry Service Sydney

Ben_j and Archaon like this.
  4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Its so spacious, hopefully people don't end up storing random stuff in there.

Maybe you can have a book swap library down there lol, something to read while waiting for the washing too.

5. Depreciator

There is a noticeboard outside that room. I'm expecting a few passive aggressive comments.
    I'm sure some random stuff like strollers will get stored there, but I don't begrudge people with kids and living in a walk-up building doing that. It will need to be monitored.
    I reckon the library idea is great. Not that people will read in there, but I do like it. There are a lot of street libraries around Marrickville.

Archaon likes this.
  6. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I've been to the huge one at marrickville metro which is quite nice, with chairs and all.

Either that or you can set up a craft brewery in there :D

7. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Like the library idea. Maybe a bench seat for those with expensive clothes who don’t want to leave their laundry load unattended?

It’s a huge space!

9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

And when it rains for a week? Just me, personally I would have preferred a dryer too stacked up above the washing machines, if possible to fit.
    Our Strata EC did the same in a block of 12 where we could not fit all, maximum was about 8. Thank goodness we hold the best unit in the block (only a rental), so we created our own laundry downstairs in the garage and extra shower area (only 3 garages in the block).
    And you are right since most are 2 Bed, some have allocated spaces in the kitchens or their bathrooms so not to share.
    However we did raise a brick pointing special levy and that came to $12K per unit owner, as it's Art Deco building built around 1920s and next door a development is occurring (we needed the building to hold up standing, although even back then built to great quality).
    best of luck....after this I feel so privileged living in my own house not sharing any laundry (and I do around 4-6 times 9kgs washes per week so I would need to spend a fortune ;)!).
    Keep posting the end result.....!

10. Depreciator

All done.
    Stainless bench coming for the space between the tubs.
    I'll put a sign up letting them all know it's finished.
    I threw in a 'before' photo again for reference.

Attached Files:

craigc, KateSydney and qak like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Nothing attracts P-A responses like too many signs. Stick up 100 like some van parks do.

12. Paul@PAS

Looks SO much better. Dryer ? You should install a vending machine like a van park

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Need CCTV recording 24/7
    If not for security, for laughs to see which idiots try to put their machine in there. Then post it up to youtube and collect money :p

14. Depreciator

No dryer. Too much power. They have managed forever without a dryer.
    I really like the idea of the bookshelf. I would be happy to use it to get rid of books.
    It will be interesting to see how it goes - the social experiment. Both my Marrickville flats are in walking distance from home and it's not much of a diversion to go past them on the way to and from the train station, so I know what goes on in each building.