Renovation to a truly awful shared laundry

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Depreciator, 28th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

So I own a flat in a building in Marrickville (Sydney inner west) that has a truly awful shared laundry. I have convinced the strata committee that we need to renovate it and we are hitting owners up with a Special Levy. Total cost will be around $12,000.
    When this block was first built, there would have been 3 shared machines in the room. Every flat would have had a power outlet in the room and when people used the machine, they would have unlocked their power outlet and plugged in the machine.
    The shared machines would have disappeared years ago and now people use their own machines. Of course, there is not enough room for everyone who wants to put a machine in there. So we are going back to shared machines - it's the only way everyone who wants to use that laundry will be able to do so.
    Demolition starts Monday. People have till 5pm this Friday to get rid of their washing machines. There will be tears.
    We're going to get the floor tiled as part of the reno. I found these ceramic tiles that look like terrazzo - it's a late 60s block, so that works. I'm going with the dark ones and will get the tiler to use dark grey grout.
    Let the fun begin.

Attached Files:

housechopper2 and willair like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Variation No. 1 - termination of individually metered electrical supplies (@Depreciator - looks like the electrical supply is run off each unit's individual supply, hence the locks) - have you addressed this with the contractors?
    Variation No. 2 - installation of hws connected to common area power (possibly require new 15-20 amp power supply, is there capacity at the MSB noting the age of the building?)

3. Depreciator

1. Yep. Strata will now be paying for the electricity.
    2. That room has never had hot water and never will.

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Wow, that is/was horrible! It reminds me of the PE changeroom at school...

What year was this built? In my infant years I lived in a unit with a shared laundry which was way more pleasing than that. It was in this block, I think this is 50-60s vintage? Floorplan of this unit is the same too. 4/157 Russell Avenue, Dolls Point, NSW 2219

5. Depreciator

It's a late 60s block. There are now a couple of people on the strata committee keen to improve the building, which is good.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

With the right paint to match those titles it will be a total different look..
    Do you intend to reset the plumbing layout or just link the new machines up to the present layout..

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I hope those dividing walls are going to make it one big open plan room?
    I gather this isn't the complex where that nice reno was done as I recall that apartment did have it's own laundry.
    I'm a little surprised that there wasn't a viable option for people to keep their machines in there? Most front loaders can be stacked and you could have fit a decent amount in there without the dividing walls.

8. Depreciator

Different block from the other one.
    Yes, those low walls will go.
    Still not enough room for individual machines.
    There will be two machines and two tubs in roughly the same spot as two of the existing concrete ones so the waste doesn't need to be changed.
    I think we'll put a bench on the other side of the room.
    The bloke doing the bathroom wants to put down a membrane and tile bed to tile over. Given that ground floor room has only ever had a concrete floor, I'm not convinced of the need for a membrane and tile bed. If we just tiled onto the existing floor we would not have a trip hazard at the door.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I suppose it comes down to:
    1. is there any property on the other sides of the walls that any flooding could damage and a waterproofing would prevent? I suspect it's also the law that it must be?
    2. how level is the floor? it would be next to impossible to lay tiles well if it's not screeded to a good level if it's unlevel.

10. Depreciator

1. Nope. No issues on the other side of any walls.
    2. The room has a floor drain in the centre with a fall to it.

11. Scott No Mates

In that case, membrane on slab & skirting, then tile over the membrane.

12. Depreciator

Can't get away with no membrane? Saves $800.

13. Scott No Mates

BCA captures it under wet areas

"P2.4.1 Wet areas
    To protect the structure of the building and to maintain the amenity of the occupants, water must be prevented from penetrating—
    (a) behind fittings and linings; or
    (b) into concealed spaces,
    of sanitary facilities, bathrooms, laundries and the like."

Also refer to S3.8.1

Free download - Australian Building Codes Board

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Wow - Its has to be an improvement. Looks like stalls for animals. Love the old concrete tub. L:eek:ks like an abandoned jail

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

How big is this apartment block? Looks like it can fit 9 machines in its current state.

Is the plan to make it coin op and have dryers too like a laundromat ?

16. Depreciator

There are 21 flats. Mix of studios, one bedders and two bedders. The two bedders would likely all have machines in their flat.
    There will be 2 x coin op machines - $2 per wash.
    No dryers.
    The company that provides the machines services them and keeps the money.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Looks like shower cubicles in a 70s East German prison.

18. Depreciator

Yep. People who have lived in the block for a long time have made that observation. People have wanted to fix it for 20 years but nobody could make it happen. It took a new strata manager and three motivated people to come together on the strata committee to make it happen. One of them lives there, and two of us are investors. My motivation is a better building means the flats rent more easily and attract better tenants. After the laundry, we'll do some smaller stuff around the building. Then next year my project is a lockable under cover storage space for pushbikes.

Archaon, Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Past experience? Bangkok Hilton? Midnight Express?

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Truly awful laundry space. Wow.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.