Renovation questions for newbie

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ATANG, 20th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hi guys, hope to get some advices on renovations work as i havent really done much renovation myself. Plan is to put in a new kitchen, new painting, floorings and perhaps bathroom...?

Correct me if the following figure is realistic? These are budgeted for getting tradies to do:

Full kitchen: $15K
    Timber floorings about 50sqm: $5K
    Carpet for bedrooms about 45sqm: $3K
    Lights fittings replacement with around 10 downlights: $2K
    Bathroom tiling, shower screen, vanity ~8sqm: $5K
    Internal Painting: DIY, is it wise... or should i better get a tradie to do it? How much generally it cost for painting?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2016
  2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

$15K is a lot for the kitchen. Are you talking getting someone out to quote then rip out and install? If so you may pay that but if you can rip it out yourself and go to a wholesaler and get them to install it will be at least half of that. Depends how hands on you want to be.
    We do a kitchen that size for under $4K but we do it all ourselves.

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hi @Travelbug, yeah i mean like full removal and installation with supply. I wish i could do it all myself but i doubt i have the skills and time. Plus I am based interstate now, so the most i could do is fly in and out for few days or a week max...

For kitchen benchtop, is it worth getting a stone top or laminated would be fine? Would laminated benchtop makes the kitchen look cheap...?

4. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Depends on the value of the house and the area. We have always done laminate but we buy cheaper houses. We get "pure mineralstone" laminate. I like it as it looks natural, with white poly cupboards.
    If you want to go stone get the composite stuff. It looks like real stone but half the price.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Full kitchen: $15K Look at a new bench top and handles plus replace the splash back. 2-3k. the kitchen looks solid as is
    Timber floorings about 50sqm: $5K Why? the tiles look good
    Carpet for bedrooms about 45sqm: $3K close enough.. 2.5k
    Lights fittings replacement with around 10 downlights: $2K why? look at it room by room
    Bathroom tiling, shower screen, vanity ~8sqm: $5K Id spend more here. bathroom is in more need of attention that the kicthen. 8-10k
    Internal Painting: prep work can chew up a lot of $. get a few quotes. its worth getting them to smash it out.

Cia and Stoffo like this.
  6. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

You mean just replace the current benchtop? Is it doable? Is it better to put in tiles for splash back or using mirror splash back? Which one is more expensive? I like mirror splash back personally...

Well, you reckon the tiles are good enough? I just find them very tiring looking.... may be it's just me. I agree this can put at the bottom of the list.

I want to remove the current lightings because they make the ceiling feel very low? One could easily hit the lighting easily, and i thought putting in down lights would brighten the space up and make it more spacious feel. Plus i dont think they are expensive if i get all the downlights from bunnings and get an electrician to come in and put them up?

7. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Also, do you guys reckon it's worth to put in a pergola roofing and perhaps a decking floor? How much would i be looking at...?

Attached Files:

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe have a talk to your Accountant first and ask what can be claimed and when..The carpet costs can be lower if you use carpet tiles ,most of the rest still looks good ,is this a rental or ppor..

9. bob shovel

depends what your budget allows ;) tiles would be cheapest and there are a multitud of options. mirror/glass is expensive

a good clean may lift them. or even re grouting but thats likely a big job if you have tiles throughout.

climbing in a roof costs money and downlights are a pain to install. there may be some good options out there to replace the existing. beacon lighting and others could help you out with a plan. its easier to replace a light than run new downlights.
    bunnings halogen DL are rubbish. theyll cause more troubles for you later when tenants destroy your ceiling and fittings trying to replace globes! you may want to go the LED option and be done with them for 20years

10. bob shovel

you could put a clear colourbond sheets over the top if the timber is in good condition
    check out bunnings for the floor. they have some click clack fake decking stuff out now. not sure what its like but could be an option.
    otherwise looks ok, give them a clean and paint the walls and with some natural light will look like new ;)

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

PPOR or IP?

Full kitchen: $15K - Nope if IP...
    • kitchen cabinets still looking really nice! Can you just change that benchtop, retile the splashback + change handle
    Timber floorings about 50sqm: $5K - Why timber?
    • Keep as is or can try Vinyl plank flooring... ~3K supply install, cheaper if DIY install but if you're not doing anything with the bedrooms it might look strange.
    Carpet for bedrooms about 45sqm: $3K
    • Bedroom seem to have laminate flooring and looking ok?
    Lights fittings replacement with around 10 downlights: $2K
    • Uh.... target about $100 per LED downlight supply + install...
    Bathroom tiling, shower screen, vanity ~8sqm: $5K
    • Under budgeted here I think.
    Internal Painting: DIY, is it wise... or should i better get a tradie to do it? How much generally it cost for painting?
    • If you know what you're doing and have the time. Otherwise get tradies...

Perthguy likes this.