Renovation or knock down Rebuild

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Exia101, 30th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Exia101

Exia101 New Member

Hi Guys,

I am having some trouble deciding what I should do to this home of ours as we have just brought it.

We have a 3 bedroom house 1 bath 1 car port. the going price for the suburb is around 900k for this type of housing built in the 60s. Brand new 4 bedroom houses on similar land goes for about 1.5 - 1.7 mil. Older 4 Bedrooms, 2bath go for about 1.2 Mil.

Should I build that extra room and renovate or does knockdown and rebuild make more sense financially ? We plan to stay put for at least 5 more years.

Cheers

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

How many sqm are you building? How much are you calculating the total cost to be and are you thinking project home or custom build?

3. Exia101

Exia101 New Member

Not sure what the going rate would be, but I think single story about 200m2 would be around 450k - 500k ?

Project home not Custom.

4. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

That's a pretty pricey build. You'd get a 350sqm 2 storey up here with a pool for that.

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

pictures?

are there any character features worth preserving?
    sometimes it's more cost effective to start over.

6. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

How old is your three-bedder? Is it structurally sound? Is the aspect good? Do you intend to keep same layout of your current house? Or do you intend knocking down walls and refurbishing a lot? If answer is 'a lot' imo better to start afresh. That way you get it all new; you get exactly what you want where you want it.

If you're happy with the current layout of the 3-bedder and intend doing only superficial stuff to it, extension is better.

Sackie and Xenia like this.
  7. Exia101

Exia101 New Member

Hmm the building was built in the 50s - 60s It looks like those triple fronted Brick Veneers common in Sydney except it is a weatherboard. Not really any features which would be considered preserving I guess.

Aspect is rear to North gentle sloping back 700m2 block. Hornsby area.
    Structurally It is fine, current layout is kind of weird and doesn't work well. I was just looking at it from an investment point of view to maximize value added to the property.

Sonamic how much does average quality 4/2/2 builds go these days ? single level no pool?

Cheers

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia