Renovation of existing home - recommendations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 20th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Hi, my sister has recently settled on her house and we are looking to renovate it... its going to be her PPR.

At this stage, we are looking to do the following:
    1. Remove a wall that joins the kitchen and living room (this is non structural i believe)
    2. Remove a wall that joins the kitchen to the deck area (existing is a window + door) (this is structural).
    3. Add two walls to create a 3rd bedroom.
    4. Enclose an existing patio (1 wall and 1 sliding glass), this would most likely require the existing foor of the patio to be done as wel
    5. Relocation of power points and light switches and installation of LED downlights.
    6. New kitchen (drainage, taps, gas, power will be moved - cannot remain in existing location) - House is on stumps.
    7. And if time and budget permits, gut the existing bathroom and put a new one in (taps/drainage can remain in the same spot for this one).

Does anyone have any recommendations for people to use?

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
  2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Location?

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Sorry, Sydney - inner west.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@neK

Best to look for draftsperson who has expirence in renovation and extension.

Working with existing layout and get best out of it, itself is a challenge for any good designer.

If you can post existing layout, others may be able to help you or feel free to PM me.

Once design is sorted and agreed, best to get builder/structural engineer to go thru existing house.. So you don't knock out structural walls or create space that requires structural support.

Then get few different quotes from builders!

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Existing plans and proposed plans uploaded.
    Also some pics of the existing kitchen and deck (kitchen is being completely removed and placed on opposite walls, so plumbing is required.

I've also drawn up some proposed kitchens. My sister isn't a fan of the pantry because she feels it blocks the flow (kitchen is smallish to begin with - 2600 x 3100).

I believe there is only one structural wall, and that's where the window and door currently is. The other wall most likely non structural (but i could be wrong).

Attached Files:

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

In the ktichen version where there is no pantry, i was thinking of moving the microwave space below the counter - because the microwave would need to stick out beyond the standard wall cabinet depth and i felt it would look a bit weird.

7. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

As you need to move plumbing anyway I would probably go BR1, ensuite, BR2, bath / laundry (instead of kitchen), BR3 where the deck currently is. Obviously need to leave room for the door to the back bedroom. The remove the wall btw the current bathroom & 2nd bedroom, make it a galley / island kitchen & the back bedroom then becomes the dining room & remove the wall between the new dining room & the lounge room so it's all nice & open.