Renovation - how to??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by AsburyJuke, 24th Oct, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

Long story short: I have an IP that needs some reasonably substantial work - it's not "major renovation" territory, but it's more than "a spruce up". What's the best way to manage this if I'm very time poor?

Long version: I have an old timber house (2 bed) that's been a good earner, but is looking very tired. I want to update the property to a "decent" standard without spending more than necessary. It's not in a fancy suburb, and I'll never live there - so there's no point in breaking the bank. Work includes:

- patch repairs to a tin roof
    - replace some damaged interior wall panels (fibro or similar)
    - 2 new windows (ie: replace existing rotten ones)
    - new flat pack kitchen
    - new bathroom (only small)
    - internal painting entire house (maybe 300m2 total??)
    - freshen up with some new light fittings, door knobs etc...
    - replace/rehang front gates
    - add a single-car carport (from a kit)
    - install a 5kW aircon
    - probably some other minor maintenance items

Question is - what's the best way to do this if I'm time poor and don't live in the area? I guess the cheapest way would be to purchase the materials myself, then arrange various tradies/handyman to come and do the work...but this means I'd need to leave it untenanted for months (maybe more??). Engaging a builder seems like overkill, because none of this work is structural or even particularly complex.

What do the "pros" do?? Is there no substitute for self-managing a situation like this?

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Some PM's do the project management for you for a fee

3. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

I feel like this would be the worst of all possible scenarios (and my PM is the best of a bad bunch in this area!)

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Who knows the lawns ?
    If you have a local older bloke who does them offer him the job (ask how much he/she wants) for supervising the works/getting quotes.
    Otherwise it's a handyman or builder....

5. Gimm

Gimm Well-Known Member

Mate, just work out how much value it'll add, how long it'll take and convert that to an hourly/daily rate and compare to what your other time commitments are (assuming day job).

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This ^^^^ if they are well-connected and competent managers of the various trades, usually a seasoned operator who knows whose who in the zoo.

7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

what you are proposing is about 40k worth and prehaps 50 by the time you complete everything you havnt thought of
    I think handyman or just a general carpenter is a good option but you really need to test the waters with them first to make sure their skills are adequate. Also getting a handyman to do a bathroom is risky but thats why i say test the waters on other jobs first. If they have care in there work then tgey can probably be trusted to do the bathroom properly.
    Probably worth noting that the works you propose technically need a builder but if your not selling the place then not a big deal as risk stays with you

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.