Renovation grant

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by DrunkSailor, 2nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

But the point is more ends up going to people that need it ! Every body can benefit. Sick of hearing from the crabs in the bottom of the bucket , welfare bludgers, and the ABC whinge about this. It is to create jobs, so people can pay tax so you can save tax. To get money circulating. The money is to encourage the middle class to spend lots of money. There is something like a 10 fold flow on effect, spending 25k to get 150k spent= 1.5m flowing through supply chains from primary producer, manufacturer, supplier, tradesmen transport company, schools and shops. if the government used all their money they would need to spend 6X more to get 1,5m flowing , line left wing union pockets,, wouldnt recover the cost from additional tax, councils wouldnt receive as much in rates, and ghettos would result the country would be broke and every-body would be worse off.

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2020
  2. Rentforlife

Rentforlife Active Member

Would a 150k granny flat be possible for the grant?

3. random

random Well-Known Member

Nope done plenty of reno's but yeah right , l do see your point there .

Joynz likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yeah, but does it though? And is this the best way to go about it?

How many ADDITIONAL people would go ahead due to this grant? Surely most people looking at spending that much coin would not be swayed by $25? Just a bonus really.

Well, that's a philosophical issue, and one you are going to have to get over. The alleged "dole bludgers" are minuscule in the scheme of things. Aged pension is still the most significant portion of welfare. Family tax benefits cost more than unemployment benefits, and your so-called bludgers would only be a tiny portion of the unemployed. That probelm isnt solved by taking away welfare (or making the system more expensive to implement/monitor/police), it is solved earlier in the lifecycle by providing the support, training, and opportunities to break the cycle.

Given the constraints on this grant, I dont really see it being that significant. I'm sure the gov will try to take credit for all the builds that were going to go ahead anyway, and even Mr Potato Head has stated this is just an attempt to slow down the rate of decline.

Surely a more effective use of my tax dollars would be in public housing? Long term benefit that doesn't promote the growth of personal debt and provide middle class welfare, but still stimulates the construction industry.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Pingu1988 and Stoffo like this.
  5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i work closely with this industry and i am already seeing (and hearing) a few cracks appearing. future jobs are being put on hold or cancelled. Site managers are getting a bit nervous and wondering if their next job will start.

this may create a bit of confidence to keep the ball rolling

Lizzie, craigc, Brendon and 1 other person like this.
  6. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

The renovation works must be to improve the accessibility, safety and liveability of the dwelling. It cannot be for additions to the property such as swimming pools, tennis courts, outdoor spas and saunas, sheds or garages (unconnected to the property).
    I assume that would also exclude granny flats

7. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume that. In fact, I think that granny flats and extensions are likely what this grant is targeting. They add to the livability of the building. The other things you mentioned (pools, etc) are all for recreational purposes, whereas granny flats are for living purposes.

Would have to be careful it is for owner-occupier purposes only though. As the grant doesn't extend to cover investment purposes.

8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think that is about the best you can hope for - kick the can down the street and soften the crash enough for people to get out before impact maybe. But I just don't see this specific model being that useful (much beyond what people are already planning to spend), or generating any long term benefits for us all.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

9. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Around here tradies seem to be going gang busters. I expect that many tradies will become thoroughly ****** off with the scheme when they are continuously asked to quote on a myriad of jobs, many of which will not be well thought out. Quoting on 150k+ jobs is both complex and time consuming.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  10. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

That was a direct quote from the treasury fact sheet. From the wording my interpretation of 'connected to the property' is the renovation needs to be physically connected to the dwelling. Maybe a grey area if the granny flat is joined to the dwelling with a pergola?

11. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

inertia likes this.
  12. sam999

sam999 Active Member

I assume this grant can be used to add an extension to a PPOR?
    does the $150K limit includes the flooring tiles/carpet heating/cooling etc for the new extension
    (assuming we include them with contract with the builder)

13. Pab23q

Pab23q Member

I would like to know this too.

Another example: renovating kitchen. Can you include fridge / dishwasher etc..

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the grant is more aimed at new house builds rather than renos.

My builder said that after my house is done, starting mid-August, his team had nothing in the pipeline. Atm a series of small renos (kitchens and bathrooms) are keeping his guys employed.

We qualify for the grant, and I'll gladly take it as is the only thing we've ever qualified for