Renovation deductibility PPOR/IP

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by tattoo, 17th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

I'm planning to do some renovations to an IP apartment (currently rented out) and move in for a few years. Renovations will potentially cover quite a bit - redo bathroom, kitchen, reinstall flooring, repaint, might knock down a wall if non load bearing. I've never lived in this IP before (no 6 year CGT rule)

So after some reading, wanted to check I'm on the right track for tax implications. As it will be for private use, I won't be able to claim as tax deduction immediately. However I should get a QS report done right after renovations, so that I claim third element costs (ie non deductible depreciation) for the period its PPOR, add to the cost base should I sell it in the future. CGT will be pro-rata on years on IP vs PPOR.

And when it becomes an IP again, I can deduct the depreciation from that point onwards. Will the QS take into account the actual costs/receipts or make their own valuation ?

In regards to some works that are 'repairs' such as repainting, replacing old/damaged blinds - if I timed it right, doing it in the same financial year as it was an IP, will I be able to immediately deduct this ? I think most of the other reno planned are arguably capital in nature

any other considerations I've missed would be helpful
    thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Depreciation can no longer be claimed on second hand items

3. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

but if I purchased new (eg. vanities, counters etc) and and installed during reno - are they still counted as 2nd hand when property becomes IP again ?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes if you will live there.

tattoo likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Of course there is still a CGT adjustment for the time when the property is rented and the Div 40 depreciation cant be claimed. And Div 43. Which may be both a 3rd element and a deductible depending on whether rented or own home.

I would discuss issue with a QS as there are merits to still having a QS report v's not having one. Dont let partial non-deductibility affect possible benefits.

tattoo likes this.
  6. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for tip, in which case will reduce budget for renovations then !