Renovation Costs

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MorganHB, 25th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MorganHB

MorganHB Well-Known Member

Hi guys, first post of PC.
    I've been incredibly lazy with my reconciliation for properties that I've renovated...
    Anyway, I want to know how to best present the use of builders costs, plumbers, electricians to my accountant?
    My builder cost me say $25K and then each tradie afterwards was less.
    Do I include this on the P&L or income/expenses sheet? Or can I put this in a separate category all together? Like capital work, so it doesn't appear like I've racked a massive first year loss.
    Any advise would be awesome!
    Thanks,
    Morgan.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I send it all to my accountant and let him place it into the different areas it belongs, i.e. Low value pool, repair etc.

3. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

On the face of it, a depreciation schedule seems ideal! It's a single document that would make things extremely simple for your tax agent and (as you suspect with your comment about capital works) the majority of renovation work has to be depreciated anyway.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would take the information to a quantity surveyor and obtain a schedule. They may even find some of the existing building works prior to renovation has some value also.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.