Renovation contracts

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ian87, 18th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Hi all looking for some advice, we are getting close to choosing a builder for our bathroom renovation, I asked about getting a contract and he said the quote becomes a tax invoice in the end and he signs this off after we have chosen all our fixtures and fittings. From my little reading this does not seem quite right and there should be a proper contract in place for anything over $10k. The work comes with certificates of compliance etc and he is registered but I am worried about the contract situation and not sure wether to proceed.

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Ian,
    a few thoughts for you.
    Ask to see his builders licence.
    Insurance.(Valid and up to date)
    Is it more than $10,00?
    Does he want more than 10% deposit?

When does he want payment? 7 days after completion?
    When will they provide Waterproofing certificate?
    How long is the warranty on the workmanship?
    How long is the warranty on the materials?
    I'm thinking perhaps you might want to look at other builders as well?
    references?
    I hope this helps

3. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Hi work is more than $10k which is why from my reading there should be a contract. His license is up to date the electrical and waterproofing comes with certificates at the end. Warranty for 5 years in materials I think and 7 on workmanship. Have spoken to a few builders and was leaning towards this one until the contract thing came up, kinda sounded like he couldn’t be bothered with real contracts as it is extra admin etc. payment is for parts on start date, a progress payment and a final payment, so again doesn’t seem like he is trying to get paid early and not do the work.

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like he doesn't want the job?

Elives likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A tax invoice and a contract are two different things. The quote/tax invoice is the proof of debt, the contract reflects the conditions and statutory obligations.

Check the fair trading website for the requirements.

6. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Yeah I had a look and that was what I concluded, definetely sends alarm bells ringing. Need to make sure we are covered.
    Thanks.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

If it's anything like QBCC in QLD, you dont necessarily need to use the prescribed contract, but the contract used needs to comply with the same requirements. Technically a quote could apply as long as everything was there, but it sounds like it isn't?

Not uncommon for a Trade to want to avoid extra admin drama, so I wouldn't read too far into that, but if it's a requirement to use the proper contract for you to be properly protected, you should insist.

@Lil Skater might be able to offer some deeper insight?

Ian87 likes this.
  8. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Victoria is much the same. Over $10k should have a contract, needs to have specific details - but not necessarily a standard contract.

You can find details through VBA and CAV to see whether it applies to the works you are doing and what details should be included.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.