Renovation Budget/Planning/Tracking Program

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Goosehead, 10th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just curious to see if there is a program to help plan a renovation? Or if there are any good practices to allow it to flow better?

Ideally a location to save ideas for the property. Track quotes that come in for comparison and establish a budget. Then actually track spending to see if it remains on budget. Also allow for planning of when different jobs can be done, for example lining up tradesman and allowing concurrent activities without hindering on each other.

Thanks guys.

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Depends on budget but I had renovations completed where I just engaged a Builder who managed all the different trades, got the quotes etc.
    It cost a little bit more overall but less stress for me as I only had to deal with the builder not the other tradies, (tilers, sparkies & plumbers)

Goosehead likes this.
  3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Rapid reno mate app - May be of assistance.

Goosehead likes this.
  4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Active Member

Ive always used my professional Project Management education, its the same as what is used in the construction industry, in my case Software and Broadband.

You could easily learn these through lynda.com type courses. then just use MS Project (you asked for a programme to track the project), to manage the projects so you know where you are at exactly at any given time.

In my experience finding a good tradie crew who are a good fit and are loyal to you will make everything much easier. You give each one there part of the project, time frames, budgets constraints etc. You keep on top of them and any issues you have to find a fix, thats the PM part of it. ie unforseen dead would in the property bones that you hadnt costed, how are you going to pay for that and where are you going to steal the funds from within your budget.

This is why I suggest learning a methodology like Prince 2, even the foundations you can learn online. When you create a project you ALWAYS have a buffer, for me its 15-20%. BUT I only use that in do or die situations. if something pops up that can be funded from another area I can spend less on, that is my prefered route, providing it still ads walk through and Curb appeal.

Good luck

Goosehead likes this.
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Active Member

This is a good way to start. Just keep in mind you need the property at the right price for this to make you money not lose you money. YOu need to know and trust the Builder to PM the work for you. The benefit is you can sit back and maintain your lifestyle.

Lindsay_W and Goosehead like this.
  6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I would say that applies to any renovation so you don't over capitalise

Agreed, should note I knew the builder very well.
    Need to weigh up whether the extra cost is worth it, in my case it was as I didn't want the potential hassle of dealing with multiple trades etc.

Goosehead likes this.