Renovation and extension

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jsmith88, 28th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jsmith88

jsmith88 Active Member

Hi all,

I have purchased a new PPOR that's in dire need of some attention prior to moving in. It's a 100+ year old weatherboard in Melbourne that we're looking to renovate and extend.The front is affected by a heritage overlay and can not be altered drastically (this does not impact the internal spaces).

The intent is to renovate the existing structure and add additional rooms to the back to meet the following requirements:
    • 4 bedrooms
    • 2 living spaces
    • 2 bathrooms
    • open-plan kitchen, living, dining
    • butler's pantry
    • laundry
    • off-street parking for 1 or 2 cars via laneway at back
    • some yard space with grass
    Attached are two floor plan concepts I've drawn up. One is for a single storey dwelling and the other is for a two storey configuration. The block is ~10m x 40m. I'd be very grateful for any critique of the plans or suggestions of improvements - don't hold back! The green section in the plan is the original part of the house.

Thanks!

Floor plans.png

2. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

what suburb are you in mate?
    I personally like the layout and floor plan of the single story extension. Unless there are views you are trying to capture in particular I wouldn’t go the first floor addition, the stairwell in my opinion isn’t doing the ‘flow’ of the home any favors in that location.
    Is your intention to live here for decades of sell? That in my opinion would play a huge role in the choice between the two.
    Either way, absolutely love the atrium/garden between the master en-suite and living, great source of light and just a very pleasant feature!

3. jsmith88

jsmith88 Active Member

Hi @Silverson,

Thanks for your comments. Plan to live there for quite a while but are cognizant of what appeals to potential buyers in the area (in case we had to sell for some reason).

I see what you're saying about the staircase. Originally it was on the west side along with the courtyard cutout. Due to concerns regarding exposure to the afternoon sun, we shifted it to the east side.

There aren't any good views to access by going up. The main benefits would be adding an office and retaining more space in the backyard. I've been looking to see where a little office nook could be tacked onto the single-level design. Only other thought was "Are we doing enough given the land premium?".