renovating rooms with angled ceilings

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by TMNT, 8th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

hey eveyrone,
    over the years ive seen but stayed away from the older style properties (old and crappy, not classic) in bdrs and kitchens that have the angled ceilings, and it looks terrible,

What do you guys do to rennovate them? they just look so bad and dated, and you cant put too many expensive light fittigs as they still look like a polished turd

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You clearly have the heart of a poet! My popr has raked ceilings and I love them. (3 meters on one side, 2.6 on the other).

However, I would never buy a house without a ceiling space again, ever!

The main issue is lack of ceiling space for insulation. Oh, and the rake means more complicated to join two beams at right angles and to put in square set plaster DIY.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You'll usually pay a premium for raked ceilings so wouldn't go getting rid of them in a hurry!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Simple way is just seal them in,then just once you paint the ceiling just put a slight tint into the next paint and change the line..I had to reinstall that white ants had eaten into within 1 mm of the paint not a good job..

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

8ACF05E7-7F4C-438E-8872-37993DF43831.jpg
    I hate them too. The ceiling at the IP we are renovating at the moment has one we ended up just adding cornices and plastering over the horrid asbestos sheeting that made it look like a shed. Sorry I don't have a photo of it on its own.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

By covering over it, you have increased the risk that tradies or future owners won't know about the asbestos and will expose themselves by cutting a hole for a fan or a light etc.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

It is not dangerous if left undisturbed. I would always inform trades and future owners if there was ever a need for them to access it. It is safer to leave it than remove it we were advised.
    There is not asbestos in the ceiling, only on one of the walls.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2016
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It is true that there is no risk if left undisturbed.

But perhaps the person who advised you ( presumably an accredited person) didn't realise you were going to hide it behind a layer of plaster?

The issue isn't leaving it in place, it is that normal inspections now won't be able to tell what is behind the plaster. There is therefore a good chance of the asbestos being unwittingly disturbed - and very likely by someone without a mask on, because they will assume it is just normal plaster...

You may feel sure that you will let any new owner know, but after a change or two in ownership, the knowledge of the potential danger is lost...

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean. The asbestos removal team took some away from other parts of the house but advised this type was best to be sheeted over. I didn't think at the time of cutting into it. Luckily we plan to hold this long term, so there should be no turnover of owners anyway.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What type of ceiling are we talking about? ? I'm confused:cool: